First time bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
I am ready to go through bottling. I understand that for corks (not synthetic), I can/should k-meta briefly before using, please let me know otherwise.
I also got house filter in place and ran clean, non chlorinated, water through it and also understand that I should run some k-meta before using as well.
Please confirm if I have something incorrect or your have other advice.

As for the bottles, I have done extensive cleaning on them and plan to do a final pass soaking in one-step with brush, then spraying k-meta. The question is if I should spray k-meta right before bottling or shall I do this a few hours before to give more time to dry. If drying is important, will a heat lamp be good for this?

As for water, during my preparation I used spring water. Shall I also use spring water to make the cleaning/sanitizing solutions? Is that the only source or can we use filtered tap water (for mixing or cleaning solutions)? If so, what would be the filter requirements?

thanks
luis

I don't soak my corks and I've never had any problems. On my bottles I spray them and let them sit on tree for about 20 minutes to have the excess run out, no need to let them dry. IMO for cleaning I don't think it matters what water you use.

My corks sit in k-meta solution for a few seconds just to rinse any dust and cat fur off of them and it also allows them to slide in easier than dry. My bottles get roughly the same thing, a few seconds of k-meta spray and filled with wine, the tiny amount of liquid left in the bottles is of no concern.

Just as a bit of info to remember, k-meta solution is a wet sterilizer. That means that when wet, it acts as a sterilizer, when dry...nothing.

Hey, Luis. Everyone has their own way of doing things and most all of them work well. From what you have asked, I would answer as follows:

1. As for the k-meta and corks, most of us use some type of "corkerator" that allows the gas of the k-meta solution to sanitize the corks. You can find something in your kitchen that will work for this. I use a salad spinner with the k-meta solution in the bottom and the corks in the salad basket. I think a steamer or pasta cooker would also work well. Just let them sit in the gas for about 20-30 minutes.

2. You said you rinsed the filter with water and plan to run some k-meta through it. I would have done it the other way around, i.e. run the k-meta through it and then the water to rinse out excess k-meta.

3. I clean my bottles with OxyClean, let them dry and store them in wine boxes. Before using them, I rinse them with hot water and spritz them with k-meta. I then hang them on a rack to drain out the excess k-meta. The bottles are not dry when I bottle the wine and the trace amount of k-meta left in them is just that much more protection.

4. I just use tap water for cleaning and sanitizing. When I add water to the wine, e.g. in a kit, I use spring water.

You are doing fine. Good luck with your bottling.

Thanks to all for your feedback, I am sure I can accommodate the recommendations and now feel better about my plans for this weekend.

As was already stated, everybody has different ways of doing things. I definitely don't use wet corks to bottle. I used to when I first started, and had a few bottles with wine wicking up between the cork and glass (over the course of a year or 2, not imediately). If you use new corks there shouldn't be any reason to prepare them, just go in dry. If you have feral corks like DoctorCAD :) , then some kind of sanitation might be appropriate. Keep in mind that commercial wineries take new bottles out of the box, blow air to expel any dust, fill with wine, and put in a dry cork.

Also keep in mind the strength of the kmeta solution you're using to sanitize your bottles. Whatever remains in the bottle will add to the SO2 of the bottled wine. Like Rocky said, if you don't rinse there will be kmeta left over. If its just a trace amount then no worries, but if you use a super strong solution you may be adding A LOT more kmeta to your bottled wine.

I think the most important thing to remember is to relax and have fun:h

Back