WineXpert first pricey kit old vines zinandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freqflyer

Reaction score
I bought my first pricey kit. Eclipse Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel.

Opinions?

I was thinking of doing the 5-20-40-90 method of making it. Good idea?

How soon before this becomes drinkable?

Id do the 180 day schedule on that kit.

Another 180 days in the bottle at a minimum.

The WE OVZ is the first kit that I made again. The first time I made it, it was the pre-eclipse version. The Eclipse version is about 3 months old sitting in a carboy.

Here is a link to the 180 day schedule:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/extended.asp

I have never tried it. It has helped me to be more comfortable about the minor variations I have done. I think I will try the full 180 day program with the Cellar Craft Showcase Argentine Malbec that I am waiting to start.

Opinions?

Yes, good idea, but extend the last 90 to at least 180.

Drinkable? 8-12 months minimum. Starting to get good? 18 months+

Opinions?
I really like it
I do agree with extended processing time, but disagree with the rack at 5 days part. At 5 days, my wines are usually still bubbling pretty good, and this creates a couple of hurdles. First, if it is bubbling enough, your siphon hose can fill with them, stopping the flow (PITA). Second, the lees have not had enough time to settle out, especially if its still actively fermenting. What this means is, either you will rack over a lot more unwanted "stuff", or worse, you have to leave more wine behind because your siphon is plugged. I go at least 7 days, and sometimes 8 if it's slow (like the LE2012 Nebbiolo).
Your wine becomes drinkable when you think it is. WinExpert recommends a minimum of 6-9 months for the Eclipse reds. I take that to mean 6 months, and I find it fine then. I would wait for the 1 year mark before I share with friends though; I do want to make a good impression.

I do agree with extended processing time, but disagree with the rack at 5 days part. At 5 days, my wines are usually still bubbling pretty good, and this creates a couple of hurdles. First, if it is bubbling enough, your siphon hose can fill with them, stopping the flow (PITA). Second, the lees have not had enough time to settle out, especially if its still actively fermenting. What this means is, either you will rack over a lot more unwanted "stuff", or worse, you have to leave more wine behind because your siphon is plugged. I go at least 7 days, and sometimes 8 if it's slow (like the LE2012 Nebbiolo).

I second this, I have yet to rack any of my wines at 5 days, typically closer to ten by the time fermentation really settles down. Make sure to punch down at least every other day as well.

I only use the 180 day schule and add some tannins to reds. It works for me.

Would you add tannins to Cellar Craft Showcase Argentine Malbec?

I add some tannins to primary - just started this wine last week, added 2 tsp grand cru tannin. I add it to almost all my reds in primary, sometimes more finishing tannins later on, I have yet to creat a wine that I feel I have over tannined or even tastes http heavily tannined for me.just my 2 cents.. I am really excited about this Malbec!

I only use the 5 to 10 day, 20 to 30, 40 to 60, and 90 to 180 day method

Would you add tannins to Cellar Craft Showcase Argentine Malbec?

Yes, but it would be soft tannins that are designed for Pinot Noirs. It is a primary fermet tannin, not a finishing tannin.

I have been switching to soft tannins for pretty much all my wines because I had to buy a whole jar of it for one 6 gallon batch of Pinot Noir.

I find it to be pleasing on the pallet in other wines as well.

@richmke, FWIW, I put 9.5 g of FT Tannin Rouge into my CC Showcase Argentine Malbec. I used it in primary (along with the supplied oak chips). I still have plenty of that on hand; if you want some of it, you would be welcome to stop by sometime and grab a dose. Where are you in the process?

I have used the generic tannin that you have in my early batches, but have stopped using it. I did a "taste test" once. I understand that, at full strength, tannins will be unpalatable, but I have found a tremendous difference in just how unpalatable. After mixing the tannin powder with a cup of must (to facilitate dispersal), I took a tiny sip of the mixture. With generic: BLECHH :s Bitter, awful, cannot get it out of my mouth fast enough. With FT Tannin Rouge: Astringent, puckery, sure, but coffee notes and smoke and toffee and wood.... mmmm, not bad.

There is a good thread on tannins on the forum, and also you can read more on the scott laboratories website. They talk about the various functions (fermentation/cellaring/finishing/over the top) and sources (wood/grape skin) and the various benefits. Certainly they are trying to sell stuff, so they minimize the value of wood tannins, but the information is still good. www.scottlab.com

I still have plenty of that on hand; if you want some of it, you would be welcome to stop by sometime and grab a dose. Where are you in the process?

It may be a while. I have the kit, but am waiting until I free up a Carboy. :fsh

So, we have time to get together. Thanks for the offer.

Latest posts

Back