WineXpert First kit under way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
My first attempt at a wine kit is under way with World Vineyard Australian Shiraz.

Previous two attempts at wine with grapes were a failure other than I learned a few things. Like,who can wait till fall?

Wish me luck. Yeah, I know I'm getting ahead of myself.

20070413_085808_New_Label.jpg
Edited by: JohnA

Welcome JohnA</span> to the friendliest forum there is. Kits are
much easier to start with and almost guaranty a quality wine. It is a
great place for a beginner to start. Did you design this label? If so
your no beginner at that!
smiley32.gif

Welcome John, Glad to see another red drinker on the board, I say that beacause Im not, hence, I make horrible red wine........ Don't know why that is.

Great label! Love the picture and the colors, good job. What method will you use to keep it on the bottle? What Paper will you use?

Welcome! Good to have another John on the Forum...the Best Forum!

I'm actually enjoying a glass of the WV Australian Shiraz as I'm typing. I've only had it in the bottle about two months, but was ready to have a taste. I have to say, it is tasing very good already. I think this will be really nice with some more age on it. Has a nice finish to it.
Good luck with your 1st kit, and don't be afraid to ask questions. The folks on this forum are great.

John

Welcome John !!! Fantastic Lable. I am relatively new and find the kits very easy and the wines very good. Good Luck. This forum is great for newbies as the experieced winemakers do not mindour endless questions. Have fun
smiley17.gif

Thanks all for the kind words.

The label was made with inspiration from some of the amazing work I saw within these forums.

The picture is of a painting my father-in-law did for me from a photo. Oil on canvas that hangs in my home. About 3' x 4'. It is of a breathtaking corner of the island of Corvo in the Azores... where I was born.

Hopefully the wine turns out drinkable; I planned on gifting a few bottles to him as thanks. He paid for all the supplies. Canvas can be costly. especially in custom cuts.

I haven't got to the point of deciding on paper and attaching the label to the bottle. I'm open for suggestions that's for sure.

Okay John, thats the Island of who and where? I just tried the high
gloss presentation paper and glue sticked on to a bottle. It worked
awesome. I have used plain printing paper and glue sticked but was not
sure how the inkjet would work on this glossy paper.

Welcome John and a fantastic label for your first wine kit too !!! How does the Shiraz taste? What oak did you use in it?

Said island is off the coast of Portugal. Translated Corvo means raven or crow. Funny because very few show themselves. Now seaguls...
I will probably go with a 20lb stock letter paper.

The wine is actually just under way, Waldo. Was set to ferment Wednesday (4/11) afternoon. I have not pulled the cover off since. It is bubbling furiously in the water seal and beginning to fill the small room with an inviting aroma.

John

Isn't that just the best smell?
smiley27.gif
I love that smell! Glad to have you aboard. Just follow the directions and success will be yours!

Tested WV Australian Shiraz on day 5: 1.020. Still plenty of CO2 kicking. Tried to post a picture but was having troubles. Posted the label with ease, photo of dark shiraz in white bucket not so easy.

The room as rather cool so I don't expect it to be ready for racking soon.

smiley31.gif
Here is my WV Australian Shiraz. A couple more days before fining et al. The primary is empty.
smiley19.gif

20070423_150102_wine_012a.jpg

JohnA,

Love the label and story behind it but you forgot to mention how far off the coast of Portugal the Azores are!

This is a friendly and informative forum for a newbie. I'm sure enjoying it.

Wade,

Wasn't sure if I should top off. I understood the kit instructions mentioning topping off once fining agent was added and stirring done.

You recommend I top off now?

John

John, Im sorry I misread your post as a couple more days (of) fining
instead of a couple of days (before) fining. The extra headroom
headroom will help you be able to stir it all up.

Wade, what about this sediment? Look excessive or about the usual?

20070425_133512_sediment.jpg

Latest posts

Back