First fresh juice wines - acid adjustment advice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedPlanetWinery

Reaction score
I have six gallons each of Foch and Chambourcin picked up today (Fingerlakes region, Hyatt Hill aka Fall Bright, Dundee NY).
I warmed a sample of juice from each to 68F. Readings using hydrometer and pH meter. TA sample size 15ml. NaOH is .2, so 1ml=.1g/l (correct?)

Foch: Brix 19 (sg 1.080), pH 3.1, TA 1.2
Chamb: Brix 18 (sg 1.076), pH 2.85 (meter would shift between 2.8 and 2.9), TA 1.4
Plan to adjust Brix to 22 for both.
Acid: I was considering adding calcium carb to both - 30g for the Foch and 45g for the Chamb. Was not considering thinning with water. Plan to do MLF after primary ferment.
OK plan? Or am I walking off a cliff?

Not sure how your testing your TA? You using the pen method with your ph meter?

Anyway I would bring the BriX up like you said to 22-23 brix. I would be more worried about bringing the ph closer to 3.5. Our winemaker (works at local winery) in our wine guild suggest to get the ph up. Ferment the must both primary and secondary then you can balance the TA.

Decided to leave the Foch alone for now (other than adding 2lbs corn sugar).
Added 30g calcium carbonate to 2 gallons of the Chamb and then racked that back in with the rest. Brought the pH to 3.1. Added 3lbs corn sugar.
Added skins in mesh bags, pitched the yeast (71B-1122). Will see where it goes from here.

I'm finding a lot of higher acid juices, I guess it's part of the weather in this region. Several of my wines wines from the previous season's grapes ended up being high acid, now I'm trying to adjust acidity after the fact before I can bottle them and free up some carboys. This years high acid juices are getting calcium carbonate before fermentation, but I'm new, so this is my first year adjusting acid. I've read mixed reviews on calcium carbonate, but it sounds like whatever flavors it imparts settle out over time. It seems to be the best option. I thought about trying to find a low acid commercial wine to blend with some of the high acid wine from last year's grapes, not sure if that's cheating though. Last years wines were all white wines, so I'm not sure what I would blend them with. Anyway, I'm in the same situation dealing with higher acid juices.

Decided to leave the Foch alone for now (other than adding 2lbs corn sugar).

Added 30g calcium carbonate to 2 gallons of the Chamb and then racked that back in with the rest. Brought the pH to 3.1. Added 3lbs corn sugar.

Added skins in mesh bags, pitched the yeast (71B-1122). Will see where it goes from here.

I always do what I feel best, trial and error.. With input from others. Sometimes! Sounds like you are on your way and you can always adjust after fermentation. I do bring my brix up a little higher for the alcohol content. Your choice because your drinking it. That is what I luv about making my own. Good Luck

racked to carboys today. vacuum-degassed samples. Foch is now .995sg, 3.4pH, 1.15TA. Chambo is .997sg, 3.35pH, 1.05TA. Will let them rest a few days while I make space for them to sit during MLF, then get that started. The minimum pH rating for the MLF culture is 3.3.

That sounds good. Did the PH's end up going up on their own, or did you have to do other adjustments? I can't really compare notes with the similar juices from the same place since my SG is at 1.030 (from 1.095). I just turned the temperature up in the basement from 67 to 70. Your PH's and SG sound good. Plus your 71B-1122 yeast probably helped with the ph.

Last edited:
Only adjustment was the one I noted for the Chambourcin (30g calcium carbonate prior to fermentation). I did find quite a lot of crystal formation on the sides and bottom of the Chambourcin bucket but not the Foch bucket. The Foch was pretty good, the Chambo still a bit 'puckery', but not nearly as much as the Concord I have.

Thanks to Morewine's Guide to Red Wine Making, I learned that I was using my refractometer wrong! My ferementation is also done. I was wondering why your Chamborcin purchased just a few days after mine would be done fermenting. :)

Latest posts

Back