First crush tomorrow!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where a pump setup would be quite nice ( the reason why I bought mine) I would pump all the must you could off from the skins and then precede to press the wet skins for juice.

With my crude setup I used last year I ended up using a strainer to get most of the skins off of the must and then I pressed the wet skins.

So does anybody strain or filter the must as it comes out of the press????

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I press into 5 gallon buckets... Then dump the 5 gallon buckets into a brute that I have elevated off the floor a few feet. After the press is Done I rack the brute into carboys... Let the carboy sit for 48 hours... Rack them again to get them off the gross leese. Then send through MLF

Another thing to consider doing Reney is go up to Home Depot or a hardware store and buy yourself a 10x10 plastic drop cloth... Lay it out before your press... Afterwards just roll ip and throw away! It will save your floor....

Did a seperate ferment of Merlot and Cab with different yeast strains... Pressed and mixed today before racking to carboys... Wow.... All done! Now just rack off gross leese and pitch mlf....
ImageUploadedByWine Making1400965658.560813.jpg

I am thinking I am going to strain the juice as it comes out of the press. All I have is a large kitchen strainer. So now the question is do I filter/strain it again into the demijohn with a smaller strainer or do I let it sit and rack it the next day then mlf it??!?! Kinda hoping I don't have to rack it again. That doesn't really work with my schedule. Lol

Another thing to consider doing Reney is go up to Home Depot or a hardware store and buy yourself a 10x10 plastic drop cloth... Lay it out before your press... Afterwards just roll ip and throw away! It will save your floor....

Hahahah I got that today!!!! So u press and then wait 24 hrs then rack then mlf ?????????

I let it sit for 48 hours.... Then rack off the gross leese from the press... Then pitch mlf... I like to let it settle then give it a clean racking...

I let it sit for 48 hours.... Then rack off the gross leese from the press... Then pitch mlf... I like to let it settle then give it a clean racking...

Hmmmmmm ok. There is a lot of pulp and stuff. One racking didn't seem like enough to me either.

Reading was 1.000 today. Shoukd be good to press tomorrow yes?!??

It taste dam good already!!!! We got about 16 gallons!!! Going to wait two days then rack again then mlf.

Congrats! Looks great!!!!!!!
I did my second rack today and pitched the mlf.... You will be surprised to see how much settles out in the next couple days.

Sam

Looks great! I am jealous of your press btw!

Just a side note, members such as you are why I keep posting here. You came here with a few bad ideas, but in the end you learned from them and listened to the members of the forum. It is great to see someone learning and improving from their old ways. It is also great to see a fellow grape wine maker on the board. I hope that with more members such as you that we can build ourselves up enough knowledgeable grape wine makers to make a difference for this forum.

Just a side note, members such as you are why I keep posting here. You came here with a few bad ideas, but in the end you learned from them and listened to the members of the forum. It is great to see someone learning and improving from their old ways. It is also great to see a fellow grape wine maker on the board. I hope that with more members such as you that we can build ourselves up enough knowledgeable grape wine makers to make a difference for this forum.

Awwww thank u!!! This is something I have been wanting to do for years but was too nervous to attempt it on my own. If it wasn't for u guys here I wouldn't have pardon my language had the balls to do it.

We got the press from Craig's list!!! It's huge!!!!ImageUploadedByWine Making1401203899.947983.jpg
Clean up crew!!!! Hahahah

Awwww thank u!!! This is something I have been wanting to do for years but was too nervous to attempt it on my own. If it wasn't for u guys here I wouldn't have pardon my language had the balls to do it.

We got the press from Craig's list!!! It's huge!!!

First official rookie mistake. Can't rack tonight bc I don't have tubing to attach to my auto syphon!!! I swear I thought I got some. Womp womp. Disappointing evening ...... trip to lowes tomorrow........

Ok we are racked. Added Opti malo plus and Bacchus!!!! Hello mlf fermentation. Wasn't able to rack all the wine though. I need a little 1 gallon jug :( so I will rack the rest tomorrow and add some opti malo and a pinch of Bacchus to the smaller jug as well. Wohooooo

Sweet Nayrea!

If you thought that the wine tasted good at pressing, just wait till you taste it at your next racking (after MLF is complete)!

I like the color extraction you got. Nice, deep, and dark... Looks gorgeous!

Now comes the hard part. You have to leave it alone except for racking, bottling, and the very occasional spot check.

Do not keep opening up the wine unless you truly have to and keep those jugs filled up. You patience will be rewarded.

Latest posts

Back