First crush tomorrow!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!!! I am going to do it more on the days I can. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Nayrea,

Nice to see those numbers. A couple of pieces of advice that work for me...

- Before you punch down, examine the space that you have. If you have a small space, like a closet, that is enclosed you may want to do some venting. By this, I mean that CO2 (at high concentrations) is poisonous to humans. I myself have almost pass out on a number of occasions. I have made it a practice open my winery doors and run a box fan for 10 minutes before doing my punch downs. I know that this advice may seem like overkill to some, but I do not know your layout. Others may dis-agree, but I find this as a "no harm in it" practice.

- I have found that 2 punchdowns a day for these Chilean grapes are quite enough (just look at my avatar). There is no harm in doing 3 or 4, and there is some benefit to aeration, but with these grapes I do not worry about it so much. The California grapes that I get, on the other hand, is a different matter all together.

- I do think that anybody has brought this up, but when you punch down, do not grind the cap against the sides or bottom of your fermentor. I try to keep my punch down tool 1 inch from the sides and never drive the tool all the way to the bottom. I do this to avoid "crunching" any grape seeds which I have found can make the wine bitter. Others may dis-agree, but I find this as a "no harm in it" practice.

Nayrea,

- Before you punch down, examine the space that you have. If you have a small space, like a closet, that is enclosed you may want to do some venting. By this, I mean that CO2 (at high concentrations) is poisonous to humans. I myself have almost pass out on a number of occasions. I have made it a practice open my winery doors and run a box fan for 10 minutes before doing my punch downs. I know that this advice may seem like overkill to some, but I do not know your layout. Others may dis-agree, but I find this as a "no harm in it" practice.

- I have found that 2 punchdowns a day for these Chilean grapes are quite enough (just look at my avatar). There is no harm in doing 3 or 4, and there is some benefit to aeration, but with these grapes I do not worry about it so much. The California grapes that I get, on the other hand, is a different matter all together.

- I do think that anybody has brought this up, but when you punch down, do not grind the cap against the sides or bottom of your fermentor. I try to keep my punch down tool 1 inch from the sides and never drive the tool all the way to the bottom. I do this to avoid "crunching" any grape seeds which I have found can make the wine bitter. Others may dis-agree, but I find this as a "no harm in it" practice.

All good advice.

The 'partly' was a general statement and not aimed at you. The 'you're not too careful you're normal' and the co2 saturation comments were.

I understand and really appreciate your input. I am going to be honest.... Never really paid attention to co2 saturation before. Good Point!

Nayrea,

Ohhhhhh thank u!!!! I have been trying to get to the bottom!!!! I will stop that now!!!! And it's in my two car garage. So I think I am ok on fumes. Thank u for the advice!!! It's greatly appreciated.

Nayrea,

There have been other threads on this forum on this subject in the past... Although co2 can be very harmful to humans and pets especially since they are close to the floor. The amount would have to be a fairly large fermentation in a very small room with no ventilation. That scenario rarely exists. Fermenting 20 to 30 gallons of wine in your basement will probably not create any harm.

There have been other threads on this forum on this subject in the past... Although co2 can be very harmful to humans and pets especially since they are close to the floor. The amount would have to be a fairly large fermentation in a very small room with no ventilation. That scenario rarely exists. Fermenting 20 to 30 gallons of wine in your basement will probably not create any harm.

It's in my two car garage and the doors are opened a few times a day so I figured I was ok. Thank u!!

Again, I posted this without knowing her layout. You are right, in most cases it is nothing to worry about. All I know is that with my layout and amounts, I can feel the effects of high CO2.

I know it is time to run outside when ...

I begin to sweat,
Have shortness of breath,
feel weak of dizzy.

I have experienced this several times in the past when punching down. Since I started venting the winery, I have not experienced any of these symptoms.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Again, I posted this without knowing her layout. You are right, in most cases it is nothing to worry about. All I know is that with my layout and amounts, I can feel the effects of high CO2.

I know it is time to run outside when ...

I begin to sweat,
Have shortness of breath,
feel weak of dizzy.

I have experienced this several times in the past when punching down. Since I started venting the winery, I have not experienced any of these symptoms.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Wow that's crazy!!! And scary!!! Sounds like u need a bigger place!!!

Well.. I have two choices. I can either get a bigger winery, or stay married.. :)

Hahahahahahahahh I see!!! Good decision!!! Crack the door and turn on that fan!!! Lol

Soooooo is it ok if I leave the lid on the brute?!?! Hubby says if I leave it cracked we will get bugs in it or flies. I say it needs to breath. I say then put a crib sheet over it. He says bugs can still get in. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Tie breakers vote please!!!!!!!!!!!!

That lid is nowhere near air tight. IIRC, your Brute is in the garage. I'd be covering as best as I could in that scenario. Although, maybe bugs = body. :D

Well hubby won. Lid on but not snapped down. Lol. Going to take a reading today and hopefully press on Monday. then on to MLF.

So does anybody strain or filter the must as it comes out of the press????

Back