First batch!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddy

Junior
Reaction score
OK I did it.

I started the Winexpert Selection International, Italian Sangiovese.

4 gal concentrait making 6 gal product(wine!)

If anybody has segestions/cautions for this wine, I'm all ears. We have followed the direction very closely...so far.

patrick

Welcome to a very adictive hobby!!..lol I started last February
and have made at least 15 batches of wine and am on #7 of beer that I
started 5 months ago (if that long) but then some people think I'm a
little different (just a little)

WELCOME

Welcome Patrick - as Frank says, you may find your new endeavor pretty
addictive, plus it is a good way to save money (it is a good argument, at
least, to offer any doubting spouses.)
smiley2.gif

I haven't made the sangiovese, but if you follow the instructions, keep
things sanitary and cultivate extreme patience it should be just fine.
One thing to be mindful of is making sure you degas the wine enough.
The instructions tell you when to stir it vigorously at stabilization time.
Make sure you have a drill-mounted Fizz-X or mighty strong arm if you
use your long stirring spoon, and stir in intervals until foaming is way
down. Depends on the wine kit, but I think everyone finds they have to
stir a lot more than the instructions lead you to believe.

Good luck and keep asking questions if needed.

Bill

Your right about that Bilbo. I just degassed a Port kit last night and It took about 4 minutes of stirring with my fizz x before I go no more foaming.

Bilbo,

I mentioned om a prev post that a friend uses a vacuum pump to degas. I was amazed how much gas came out! He states he learned this trick from a very experinced frind and has never had a gas problem.

Does any one know if this Sangiovese needs a long aging process like a Cab? I was hoping to get a Merlot or a Malbec because they can be "consumed" a bit early-er. I just wanted aquick result/feedback from my first batch.

Once it comes in, I plan on starting the Malbec next week either way.

Wife is as much of this as I am.

patrick

As long as you follow your instructions and use patience you should be fine. The only place you should look to deviate from the directions is when to bottle. Don't be in a rush to get it tothe bottle. Waiting to bottle while the wine is safe in a topped up carboy can save you heartbreak later. You may decide that you want to rack it just one more time because there's dust on the bottom.This could be the hardest thing you've had to do, just waiting. But it's a good time to figure out what you're going to next make and maybe do a little shopping!

Stinkie suggested this is an addictivehobby. It isn't.None of us are addicted. We can all quit when we wantto quit. It's just that none of us happen to want to quit!
smiley36.gif

The Princess is correct, of course - no addicts here
smiley2.gif

In general you can expect to start drinking the lower end kits sooner than
the more expensive kits. Choose something from the Vintners Reserve group
for example. George has mentioned several in past threads. The Pinot Grigio
would be a good choice in whites, and the Bergamais and Bourgeron in reds
if I remember his advice.

Bill

I always wait a least an extra 30 days and rack twice before bottling. Waiting is the hardest part.

Paddy,

You might want to start an Island Mist kit to help you wait for your big red. They are fruit based wines that are ready to drink as soon as you bottle them.

My suggestion. Get a six gallon carboy to do your first racking. Then down to another smaller carboy to go into. I don't like to top up with water. Plus when you go down from the six gal to a 5.5 you'll have the same wine to top up....

And why you're at it, buy another kit to start. I think the fruit kit is a good idea for starting. They are good and people who don't like wine (really like big wine) will tell you how talented you are and boost your confidence. :)

Welcome to the habbit, now get off that wagon.
smiley32.gif

I would expect a 6 month aging on the Sangiovese, at least. It is a big red and has a lot of tannins. I would defininately put some aside to age for 1-2 years. You won't believe how smooth it will become later in its aging.

As an aside, the Winexpert kits plan for you to add 1 liter of water after you stabilize. If you don't do this, you will throw off the balance of the wine. After this topping off, you can either rack to smaller vessels or top off with a similar wine. Remember those cloudly bottles of wine? This is a good time to use them.

Back