First Batch Very Excited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, if that sediment is the sediment from fermentation and the wine hasnt been racked off it yet then do so soon as those are called lees from primary fermentation (gross lees) and those can spoil, never go more then about 3 weeks on them before racking off them. Since there was no actual fruit in this batch its now where near as bad as if there was so not a big problem at all here. As far as adding cranberry goes, make sure you have the proper ingredients to add to your wine making list before doing so like the acid test kit and some yeast nutrient and energizer. Cranberry and Blueberry naturally produce benzoate which inhibits yeast and can make fermentation not start or just struggle so the addition of nutrient and energizer are recommended for basicall all wines but especially these 2 types. This is a list that I would get before starting your next batches of wine and these will be in your arsenal forever from now on.

Hydrometer - I loike the one with the thermometer built in - http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5452

acid test kit - This is the one I prefer but a digital PH meter is the best way to go!
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=217-10

Yeast energizer - http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=6365A

Yeast Nutrient - http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=7357A

A Fizz X mix stirrer for properly mixing up your must and to get the C02 out of your wine
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=15262

i've learned that smaller containers ferment faster. another reason checking s.g. is so important!

Wade...I love you man haha thanks, I got paid today so this is definitely burning a whole in the ol' pocket :sm

Day 9:

All three batches have stopped bubbling. They are much more clean, clear and what I guess people refer to as "bright" the colors are deeper and truely brighter it looks great.

I suppose I could go ahead and rack this wine in the next few days. Countrygirl and Wade, do you think I aught to go ahead and rack these asap to get it off the lees. I think country was trying to tell me to my wine could be ready. I know that I don't have any clue where my starting S.G. but I guess I could check to see if it were stable. What do yall think?

Last edited:
Day 10:

I bought some no rinse sanitiser(I still rinse with purified water) for my next batch online and to get ready to rack this wine. I need to do this, at least to get my wine off of the lees and I'm leaving town. The wine looks wonderful, especially the darker wine with real fruit, I anticipate tasting a sample of these during racking.

I just racked my first three batches of wine and oh man they came out so much better than I could have imagined. They smelled just like wine I guess, a little more yeasty. The wine made with juice supprised me the most. It was much darker and red than I thought it would end up being. The batch made with juice concentrate is nice and I can smell the vanilla and cocoa I put in this. The batch made with concentrate and whole berries tasted strong, lol :: It has a good amount of tannin flavor and tart/sourness. I am so pleased with my first endevour making wine. I can't wait to drink these but I will be good and wait.

I just got some goodies in the mail and a 5gal carboy to start my next batch. Now I can measure and keep track of everything like the rest of you pros here. Thank you so much for the help and advice. I hope one day I will have some useful advice to hand over here at this forum. For now I'll keep trying to soak it in.

GREAT ! Glad to hear
Note;
Kits make 6 gallons of wine. So, if you have a 5 gal carboy you will need a 1 gal one as well.
5 gal carboys are great for homebrewing which is also what I do.

HI,

A sweet dry wine tasting chart is primarily used for doing a tasting of multiple wines,The wine ends up a golden color, or a deep, rich amber. It has a very sweet taste. The flavor is a combination of apricot, peach, mango, melon or other sweet fruits. There is often a nutty smell to it as well. It is usually drunk as a dessert wine, chilled for one or two hours. It is usually served in small cordial glasses.

THANKS

HI,

A sweet dry wine tasting chart is primarily used for doing a tasting of multiple wines,The wine ends up a golden color, or a deep, rich amber. It has a very sweet taste. The flavor is a combination of apricot, peach, mango, melon or other sweet fruits. There is often a nutty smell to it as well. It is usually drunk as a dessert wine, chilled for one or two hours. It is usually served in small cordial glasses.

THANKS

I'm sorry I didn't understand what you were trying to say but whatever you're talking about sounds tasty!

I wanted to give a short update:

Racked wine is continuing to clear and look better and better. I have basically stored them in a cabinet where I can forget about them for another moth or two.

I took a peek and noticed that the wines are super clear now and so tempting to drink. I suppose here in another week or so I will rack these again and prepare to bottle a little sooner than I thought. I need a camera to show you all:sm

Latest posts

Back