First Batch Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
The first batch was started today. No real problems, just a matter of learning how to use the equipment. Imagine my surprise when I realized I had no idea how the hydrometer should work. I did figure out that the wine thief and the hydrometer worked together (doh!). I was extremely careful with cleaning and sanitation so I'm hoping for the best.

My next question is about the airlocks. I assume that I don't need any liquid in the airlock on the primary, however I understand that I need to put fluid (sanitizer) in the airlock when I rack it to the carboy(s), correct?

If so, how full do I fill them? I also understand that I can use sanitizer, vodka or grain alcohol-is there any approach that is better?
Thanks for the help!

Congrats Mike
smiley20.gif

I only use plain water in the airlock and half full works fine.

They all work well. Which airlock did you get, the s-type or the other
one? I keep fluids in at all times and keep the lid on tight just to
make sure no bugs get in there. Many others do this to without any
problems at all. As far as filling them, the s-type you fill so that
the level is even at the top of the first bubble on both sides.

Depending the type you have, but there usually is a line on them to fill to...I usually use sanitizer and you can put it in if you use the airlock on the primary...Good Luck
smiley1.gif

wade said:
They all work well. Which airlock did you get, the s-type or the other one? I keep fluids in at all times and keep the lid on tight just to make sure no bugs get in there. Many others do this to without any problems at all. As far as filling them, the s-type you fill so that the level is even at the top of the first bubble on both sides.

I have one of each (bought an extra with the extra carboy).

Thanks for the answers!

Latest posts

Back