First batch of wine, got a few questions.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok just checked my SG reading, came in isn't around 1.005. Kit calls for 1.050 or below.. Temperature is 72-74 degrees. Will be racking after dinner. I can explain how exciting it was to see my project after only 5 days.

Ok just checked my SG reading, came in isn't around 1.005. Kit calls for 1.050 or below.. Temperature is 72-74 degrees. Will be racking after dinner. I can explain how exciting it was to see my project after only 5 days.

I think you meant the kit calls for 1.010 or below. No problem.

Transfer as much of the liquid as possible; no need to top-off, yet. Be sure to add an air lock. Follow your instructions.

Oops ya I did mean 1.010 see what happens when you,type excited ..I got as much as I could without getting any sediment..

Just an update on my new endeavor... Checked the SG of my strawberry merlot kit... Came in at .996, spot on for this point in the process.. I'm going to give it one more night before proceeding to adding the rest of the ingredients.

On a side note we also started two new batches tonight (this is so addictive) we started a raspberry dragon fruit white Shiraz (another island mist kit) and also started at vintners harvest apple fruit base wine.. Little more nervous with one as you have to measure everything out and the instructions are a little more vague.. So I'm sure ill have more questions coming soon..

Thnx again everyone

image-2049801674.jpg

My wife's office is slowly becoming a winery:)

I'm lovin your enthusiasm! This is such a fun hobby, and the folks on this site give such great advice! Welcome to the addiction! :) its nice to know I'm not alone in the need to full empty primaries! Lol

JoyofWine said:
I'm lovin your enthusiasm! This is such a fun hobby, and the folks on this site give such great advice! Welcome to the addiction! :) its nice to know I'm not alone in the need to full empty primaries! Lol

Lol ya when I hit a hobby I hit it pretty hard. Got into rc airplanes early last year and I now have 5 of them...

Empty primary? What's that? Hahahaha

there is something to be said of those of us that love the musky smell of fermenting fruit....ahhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaa

jamesngalveston said:
there is something to be said of those of us that love the musky smell of fermenting fruit....ahhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaa

Hahahaha that's the first thing I said was remember the smell when we had one primary going. Now imagine three times that

Both of he IM kits you have are tasty. Did op the sugar in the dragon fruit?

Next try making skeeter pee and dragons blood. Fun, easy, and oh so good in the summer.

kryptonitewine said:
Both of he IM kits you have are tasty. Did op the sugar in the dragon fruit?

Next try making skeeter pee and dragons blood. Fun, easy, and oh so good in the summer.

I did not up the sugar in either I'm thinking I will on my next.. I've heard a lot about the dragons breath but haven't read much about it yet ...

Let me know what you & your wife think of the IM Strawberry white merlot. I was trying to decide on a strawberry kit & started the OB Strawberry white zin last night.

JoyofWine said:
Let me know what you & your wife think of the IM Strawberry white merlot. I was trying to decide on a strawberry kit & started the OB Strawberry white zin last night.

The strawberry white merlot is tasty. We've now tied about 5 of he IM list and all are very good on a summer day.

Here's a response from "Joe's wine" that really hit home with me on these IM kits and why I add sugar in the beginning

TO BALANCE THE KIT, start off with a SG. OF 1.010.this will balance out the super flavorful FPAC,they, can with stand the extra dryness ,when the FPAC is added you know longer have a sweet juice drink what you end up with is a wine with great flavor., and the women love them that was the direction the market aimed for and got it.just my thought's..................

JoyofWine said:

I will let you know as soon as its bottled. Should be in about a week or so.. As for everything else I'm amazed as how addicting this hobby is just start about a month ago and now I have
1-clearing IM-strawberry merlot
1-racked IM-raspberry dragon fruit
1-racket peach fruit base
1-primary apple fruit base
1-primary dragons blood

Well today we finally bottled our first batch ever.. It was our island mist strawberry merlot kit... The excitement was more then I thought it would be.. Needless to say two bottles are already gone after a couple hours.. We did set 3 bottles aside for aging but I'm not sure how long they will last. Hopefully my other ones will be done soon to keep my mind off of them.. I think next time I might add a little sugar to up the ABV but I do enjoy be able to drink this like water..

image-2707213659.jpg

image-1687319303.jpg

image-327110724.jpg

image-4228305369.jpg

Congrats stevolution! I used to use the lower ACV of the mist kits as the rationale to my significant other and claimed we 'have' to drink them all instead of saving any for posterity's sake....and just make more. But then my oldest child (barely of legal drinking age) spilled the beans about the ones I fortified with pure grain!! So many options.

saramc said:
Congrats stevolution! I used to use the lower ACV of the mist kits as the rationale to my significant other and claimed we 'have' to drink them all instead of saving any for posterity's sake....and just make more. But then my oldest child (barely of legal drinking age) spilled the beans about the ones I fortified with pure grain!! So many options.

Yes these are going to be very hard to save .. At this rate we will drink them faster than we can make them.. I do have a IM raspberry dragon fruit that will need to be bottled in about 2 weeks so at least we have refills .. And then shortly after my our dragons blood should be done and I'm thinking of doing a tropic version of DB but maybe another kit wine to keep our stock up..

I have found the easiest way to stay out of your newly bottled is to have something else ageing:D

Latest posts

Back