First batch of plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here's the update. I tasted the wine. Well, I tasted one batch. Results? I thought it tasted........wonderful. It definitely has a plum flavor, and it definitely is an adult beverage. :b That was exciting. Here's the disappointment. I didn't have enough wine to fill my carboys, so there is a lot of headspace. Looking at the sediment I siphoned out, I don't think I will have enough to fill one of the batches, even after it settles more. I'm including the photos so y'all can see. I don't really want to fill it with water and dilute my precious wine. Is it okay to leave like this? I know at next racking I will loose even more, so maybe I should go get some 3 gallon carboys and use that instead? Both batches are fermented to around 1.000.

98626230.jpg

94881542.jpg

I have never tried it, but others have. Get ya some marbles, sanitize em, and put enough in to take up the excess space. Arne.

I thought I read about someone using ball bearings before, but it must have been marbles. Good idea! Easier and cheaper than running across town to buy smaller carboys.

Just wanted to post an update. It's been almost a month since we started this project and I just racked the wine. Both batches are looking pretty clear. We sampled both today during racking. One batch is a little more dry, but they both taste good, I think. They are still a little fizzy tasting, is that to be expected? They aren't still bubbling, but they seem gassy. There is definitely a strong flavor, it doesn't seem weak in flavor at all. It's not instantly recognizable as a plum flavor, but it tastes good.

MB, as long as it taste good to you, that's all that matters and it sounds as though your happy with it. The wine is extremely young yet and it will fizzle for a little while. Some of the more experienced folks on here can help you deal with that. I have one question though...did you put your fruit in a straining bag when you started? It looks to me like you just dropped it in the primary, which is fine but the straining bag would have helped you reduce the amount of pulp and sediment. I'm asking because I have never seen that much sediment in a batch when I used straining bags.

With the first batch, I put the fruit in nylon pantyhose. I started the next batch the following day and had purchased a mesh bag from the brew store. When I was sanitizing the mesh bag, I kept seeing little bits floating in the solution. So, I washed the bag several times and every time I changed the solution but there was still stuff floating in the solution. It was like little bits of nylon that were coming off the bag and it wouldn't stop no matter how much I washed it. At that point, I was concerned the pantyhose also had little bits coming off them so I opened up the first batch out of the hose and let all the fruit go straight into the primary. I was also concerned that the fruit didn't have enough room to breathe in the bags. It was 20 pounds of fruit and it seemed like it was just packed in too tight. I had seen a lot of folks put the fruit straight in and figured it was the simplest thing to do. Maybe I should have left the first batch in the hose and let the second batch go bare and I could have compared the two. Oh well, too late now, huh?

As long as it turns out good that's all that matters. I've found that it's just a little more work when you put the fruit straight into the primary and having to deal with all the pulp and sediment, but I understand why you did what you did. Good luck with it. I cored and chopped 25# of red plums last night and stuck 'em in the fridge to get a batch started this weekend. This will be my first batch of plum and I hope I can maintain the color that you have.

I have an update. After about a year, we did a taste test on both batches. First batch came out with a sort of rubbery taste. Did some poking around and found that it could be some sort of infection or it sat on the lees too long between racking. Either way, I have been told it's safe to drink, even if it doesn't taste all that great. The second batch tasted wonderful last time I tasted it this summer. Both are clear and I was letting them age a little more before sweetening and bottling. Well, this morning I brought in a 1gal jug of each batch to do some testing with. I noticed that the airlocks are bone dry! Ran downstairs, my big carboys ave dry airlocks in them too! I don't know how long they've been dry, but it's been months since I last tended to them. I can't believe I forgot to check on them. So, now I am wondering if the wine is even safe to drink now that it's been open to the elements for an unknown period of time. What shall I do with it?

first smell it, how does it smell? second take a taste, you will see some discoloration as well from oxidization and you may have a different flavor now

I took a whiff. Neither batch smells foul. I would say they both smell as they did before. One might smell a little less like alcohol and a little sweeter than I remember, but nothing smells bad. So, it's safe to taste it?

Had some British friends over tonight to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. We drank about 2 liters of the wine and everyone thought it tasted great. I mixed in a little bit of apple juice to sweeten it just a little because it is very dry. I used about 5 parts wine, 1 part apple juice. It was perfect. It tasted good, and worked as it should! So, I'd say it was a success!

Good Deal!
Sounds like you have a pretty good start at wine making. You'll learn a lot as you go and the folks on here can help you with about any issues or questions that you may have.

Back