finished cheese press with instructions and pictur

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotty the butter thing is great. Nothing like fresh butter. Just be sure you at least lightly salt it or it won't be as tasty.

If you want to really get into it, all you need is a small shed, some hay and a Guernsey or Jersey. They are high butterfat and yield a very nice golden colored butter. Then you even have skim milk. Just remember they need milking at least twice a day- 7 days a week, about 10 months out of the year! As an added bonus you will get plenty of fertilizer. When old Betsy gets too old, then you can have plenty of briskets and round steaks, lots of hamburger and plenty of t-bones!
smiley4.gif

Buzz off appleman-- I cant stand dogs droppings.
Moooooooooooooooo BANG BANG
smiley36.gif

"Milkers, hit the floor" was the sound me and my 3 brothers heard every morning at 5am. Two of us would hit the floor, while one chunked up the fire in the fireplace ( during the winter) the other would get a fire going in Moms cookstove and then it was off to the barn to milk the two cows we had. It was always with the cats in tow, just meowing, knowing they were going to get some fresh milk. Albeit sprayed in their faces, fresh from thje teat they still loved it. After the milking it was bak to the house with the buckets and time to strain it through cheesecloth into the gallon glass jugs. There it set while the cream rose and from there to the churn and transformed into butter......on fresh hot biscuits...with homeade jams and jellies.........ahhhhhh what memories !!! Thanks for reviving them appleman

How's the cheese adventure coming Scotty? Just cut open a small round of Wine infused Ched I made a few weeks back. A little age and it should be a good one!

10809014.jpg

Boy that che
smiley1.gif
ese looks good

I'm waiting for the 24th of this month when we are having a driveway BBQ and my friend nick is bringing the cheese press back to me. It was too crooked for my liking so i asked a talented friend to make a few adjustments.
We are keeping ourselves busy with brining a pork loin to turn it into a boiled ham and we are curing another loin to turn it into a buckboard bacon.

Someone gave me a king Arthur sour dough kit and i have made a few loaves this month. Also i have been spreading the starter culture to anyone who wants it.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C74&byCategory=C89&id=8999

I have tried sour dough starters and just can't seem to keep them going. I just don't have the time to spend with them, but would love to.

The cheese looks great JW. I'll have to break my press out again......... I'm feeling the itch!

Jobe, until a sourdough starter gets quite old and adapted to your area, the only way to keep them going is to bake bread daily. After they are well established, you can put them to sleep in the fridge, but you have to wake them up at least once a month to keep them going, or you can always freeze a bit of it too.

If you make a starter on your own, it's best to use organic rye flour to start, as rye has the most active natural yeast all over it. I've actually had some that I had to get rid of because they became too sour. Too much lactobacillus in it. That one was a slow riser too. I've had cultures that would rise in 2 hours, and other that would take 8 hours to rise. Sourdough is really a beast you must keep feeding. Think of it like a pet.

Feeding it is the problem. Every day your suppose yo dump 1/2 and feed the remaining starter. You di this for a week or 2 ??? I forgot the exact directions. Right now with the new company going, I just don't have the time to watch it....................

Speaking of Pets..................

Latest posts

Back