Finer Wine Kit Finer Whites w/o Carbon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
curious if anyone is making any of the Finer whites w/o using the Carbon? Your outcomes/thoughts?

I'm very interested in the FWK whites....but have zero interest in messing with the Carbon.

Cheers!

I made the FWK Chardonnay pre-carbon, and it's fine. The color is dark, but the aroma and taste are fine. I made the Sauvignon Blanc with carbon, and it's lighter colored; darker than every other SB I've made. Again, aroma and taste are fine.

I had no problem using carbon. I treated it like copier toner and avoided dust flying up. The wine cleared fine and it wasn't a big deal. If I make another FWK white I'll use the carbon. Note that the "if" is because I have access to white grapes and juice buckets now, and prefer that to any kit.

If the carbon is a problem to you? Skip it. Regardless of color, your wine will be fine.

I’ve made one FWK Sauv Banc pre carbon and one with the carbon. The carbon batch was lighter in color but still darker than typical SB. I agree that there was nothing wrong with the taste in either and I don’t really mind the color. But my wife drinks much more white wine than I do so I alway keep some on hand for her. HWHL ya know. I make SB and Chenin Blanc by Wine Expert and RJS and she loves then. What I have observed is given the choice between two bottles of comparable taste she will always open the lighter colored wine. She hasn’t said that she’s put off by the color but she votes with the corkscrew. So I will continue making FWK reds (just started a Forte Syrah this past weekend and have pre-ordered two more) but will also keep making white wine kits from other makers.

Anyone have a pic of their FWK non-carbon Chardonnay(s) they can post here?

Interested to see just how dark it is....

Thanks & Cheers!

I wonder if the vacuum condensing process has something to do with extraction of more color from the skins.
The reason is likely that the enzymes responsible for browning in grapes aren't thermally inactivated due to the low temp FWK is using (like polyphenol oxidase that is responsible for browning in grape juice). If not mistaken, I think Matteo confirmed that in a previous thread.

The reason is likely that the enzymes responsible for browning in grapes aren't thermally inactivated due to the low temp FWK is using (like polyphenol oxidase that is responsible for browning in grape juice). If not mistaken, I think Matteo confirmed that in a previous thread.
So just curious then -- if one makes a Chardonnay from freshly pressed grapes - how are those enzymes inactivated / how does one avoid the browning?

Cheers!

curious if anyone is making any of the Finer whites w/o using the Carbon? Your outcomes/thoughts?

I'm very interested in the FWK whites....but have zero interest in messing with the Carbon.

Cheers!
Started my Tavola Chardonnay this morning. SG=1.100 & will not be using the carbon. Juice color is almost mustard like in bag...

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1101231232.jpg
    1101231232.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Started my Tavola Chardonnay this morning. SG=1.100 & will not be using the carbon. Juice color is almost mustard like in bag...

Cheers!
Wow....D47 took SG to 1.000 in 3days...(per my protocol...9g FermaidO was added at +48hrs from pitch)

Seemingly fastest I've had D47 do that with anything...

Cheers!

Wow....D47 took SG to 1.000 in 3days...(per my protocol...9g FermaidO was added at +48hrs from pitch)

Seemingly fastest I've had D47 do that with anything...
Did you make an overnight starter? If so, that's the likely culprit. I've found a good starter really kicks the fermentation into gear, as the initial colony is significantly larger than other methods.

Did you make an overnight starter? If so, that's the likely culprit. I've found a good starter really kicks the fermentation into gear, as the initial colony is significantly larger than other methods.
Yeppers......my standard protocol :)

Unless the wine is high in tartaric acid, and a kit should not be, I wouldn't.
...coming from making hard ciders -- which ALL got cold crashed/stabilized -- I began my vintnering journey doing same for my early white and rose' kits....all non-FWK and didn't notice any hit to acidity -- but certainly did notice an improvement to clarity -- and none of the kits got any clearing agents. I use D47 for all my ciders and whites/rose' (currently atleast).

IF there does happen to be an acidity hit -- wouldn't an acid addition prior to bottling "fix" that?

Any other potential downside I'm not considering?

As Always...Thanks for helping to further my vintnering education!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back