Finally MLF Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
Its been 1 week since I innoculated my wine with mlf bacteria, and today is the first day I can see the ring of little bubbles in the neck, and the little bubbles rising up the neck of the carboy.
So here is my question. This is my 1rst time using a mlf bacteria in my wine. Is there any way 2 tell when it is done with ml fermentation without spending the money on buying a chromotoghy test ?? Can I wait 2 to 3 weeks and assume it has finished. How long does it usually ferment with ml bacteria ???
If it is usually 3 weeks then I'll just wait 4 weeks and move forward ....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :d

Its been 1 week since I innoculated my wine with mlf bacteria, and today is the first day I can see the ring of little bubbles in the neck, and the little bubbles rising up the neck of the carboy.
So here is my question. This is my 1rst time using a mlf bacteria in my wine. Is there any way 2 tell when it is done with ml fermentation without spending the money on buying a chromotoghy test ?? Can I wait 2 to 3 weeks and assume it has finished. How long does it usually ferment with ml bacteria ???
If it is usually 3 weeks then I'll just wait 4 weeks and move forward ....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :d
No real way of telling unless you do a "test"
All wine has different fermentation. So.....

Tom is right on. Get yourself an inexpensive malic acid test from Accuvin. When the malic acid levels get very low, you are probably basically finished with mlf. At that point, bring up the levels of S02 to protect the wine from unwanted bacterial infections and the like. I have had some finish in weeks before, some have gone all winter and then finish up the next summer as the temperatures warm back up. Best to keep your wine temp about 65-70 if possible to get it done a bit sooner.

I agree, a malic acid test will get you close but chromatography test is the best and will last you a few years so worth the money.

OK, thanks. One other question. when the mlf is done, I would just rack as normal and sulfite and let continue bulk aging, right. Or did i miss something

After MLF is done add the sulfite. DO NOT add sorbate though

Flame, I use a mlf nutrient, optimalo plus with my innoculations. It decreases the conversion time and is a very inexpensive additive.

Flame, I use a mlf nutrient, optimalo plus with my innoculations. It decreases the conversion time and is a very inexpensive additive.

I did use a nutrient is was White Labs Yeast Nutrient WLN1000 HB. I was just surprised it took 1 week to kick off. I was just hoping to get away with not having to pay 50 bucks for the accuvin ml test. I kinda just was hoping to wait 1 month, rack, add sulfite and continue bulk aging.
But I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the test, just to make sure I do it right. :a1

I did use a nutrient is was White Labs Yeast Nutrient WLN1000 HB. I was just surprised it took 1 week to kick off. I was just hoping to get away with not having to pay 50 bucks for the accuvin ml test. I kinda just was hoping to wait 1 month, rack, add sulfite and continue bulk aging.
But I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the test, just to make sure I do it right. :a1

What can this test tell you that you own tongue can't?

A test will tell if the mlf is complete. You should be able to get the Accuvin test a heck of a lot cheaper than $50. A single test is usually about $2. Try this- $30 for 10 tests.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetKits.asp?PartNumber=223-10

And yes, you could just be sure that you have kept it warm and give it a good month and it should be more or less complete. If the bubbles have stopped, You could rack, sulfite and continue bulk aging.

A test will tell if the mlf is complete. You should be able to get the Accuvin test a heck of a lot cheaper than $50. A single test is usually about $2. Try this- $30 for 10 tests.

And yes, you could just be sure that you have kept it warm and give it a good month and it should be more or less complete. If the bubbles have stopped, You could rack, sulfite and continue bulk aging.

I can normally tell that by simply tasting it. If the taste has softened up, I give it a few more days, then SO2 the wine.

Ohh ok good, when i went to accuvin's web site i saw their cheapest test was 50 bucks for like 20 or 25 tests. It would be nice if i could just buy a couple at a time. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back