Fig Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
I am looking for a simple fig wine recipe. I want to make a small 1 Gallon batch. I have been looking over the net and would really like to try a recipe that someone here has already made with success.

Thanks,

Mike

Judging by all the responses(sarcasm) I think you are just going to have to trust a recipe and adjust SG to something decent like 1.085. It does sound interesting like Joan says though so please update us.

I love figs and would love to try some fig wine. I wonder how much of the fig flavor would come through. I'm thinking for me it would be a fabulous dessert wine.

Looks like I'll be experimenting. not a problem when I got good back up people like you guys ( andladies)as support.

gaudet:

I did a fig / Honey Suckle Wine as an experiment.

The recipe:

13 pounds Fig</span>s
6 cups honey suckle flowers
3 tsp acid blend (suited to my taste buds)
5pounds sugar
3 campden tablets

wait 24 hours:
1 teaspoon bentonite
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme

wait 24 hours:
Add the yeast

Makes 3 gallons

Here's a link to the post:
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3688&amp;KW=fig&amp;PID=50477#50477

I haven't tried any yet, but may now that you bring this up.

I'll let you know how it taste.

I did see your recipe Jobe, and I am considering modifying it for my batch. You were the only one that I was able to find here. I am going to see about a couple other recipes as well and may come up with a hybrid. I will post it if its good.

jobe05 said:
gaudet:

I did a fig / Honey Suckle Wine as an experiment.

The recipe:

13 pounds Fig</span>s
6 cups honey suckle flowers
3 tsp acid blend (suited to my taste buds)
5pounds sugar
3 campden tablets

wait 24 hours:
1 teaspoon bentonite
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme

wait 24 hours:
Add the yeast

Makes 3 gallons

Here's a link to the post:
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3688&amp;KW=fig&amp;PID=50477#50477

I haven't tried any yet, but may now that you bring this up.

I'll let you know how it taste.
Edited by: gaudet

Just make sure you keep the SG down as some of those websites dont list an SG and end up around 1.100 and is very high for most fruit wines.

List your recipe if you will. Mine was an experiment as well. I had the honey suckle, and I had the figs in the freezer so it seemed like it would be good.

I have about 5 or so pounds of figs on the tree this year, so am willing to try something different with them if they can make a good wine.

Keep us posted.

wade said:
Just make sure you keep the SG down as some of those websites dont list an SG and end up around 1.100 and is very high for most fruit wines.

Yes sir ree...... I will try to keep it less then 1.090 I'll shoot for 1.080 and hope to get it close. I am learning the lessons one batch at a time.

I think I am starting to understand a lot more than I initially did.

Mike

Didn't work out, need to find another source. She was picked out.

I stumbled onto a FIG WINE receipe today.
It's differnet then the other one, so I thought I'd post it.

Fig Wine <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
If you substitute raisins for the figs, you can leave out the lemon and orange. Figs are low in acid, while raisins are not.
Ingredients
<TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 4.8pt 4.8pt 4.8pt 4.8pt" cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 4.8pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 4.8pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4.8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 4.8pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; : transparent">
<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = V /></V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><O:LOCK aspectratio="t" u2:ext="edit"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE><?:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><W:WRAP ="square"></W:WRAP></V:SHAPE></TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 4.8pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 4.8pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4.8pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 4.8pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; : transparent">
· 2 pounds dried figs
· 2 campden tablets
· 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
· 2 cups honey
· 5 cups brown sugar
· 1 lemon, juice and rind
· 1 orange, juice and rind
· 1 teaspoon nutrients
· 1 package yeast
· water </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Dissolve honey in an equal amount of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and skim off any foam that appears. Continue to do this until foam stops appearing. Cool.

Pour 8 cups boiling water over the figs and one campden tablet. Cool. Remove the figs, chop them roughly and pour another 8 cups boiling water over them with the other campden tablet. Leave overnight.

Strain the liquid from the figs and discard the pulp. Combine the two batches of liquid in the primary fermentor. Add pectic enzyme, sugar, prepared honey, nutrients and lemon and orange juice and rind. Add water to make up to 1 gallon. Add yeast.

In 3 to 5 days, when the frothing ceases, strain the wine and place it in the secondary fermentor and attach air lock.

For a dry wine, rack in six weeks, then every three months for one year. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at six weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old.

Bottle the wine when it is 6 to 12 months old. I like to continue racking for a whole year to ensure the wine is as clear as possible. Wine is ready to drink one year after the date the batch was started.

Bottle the wine when you are sure it is stable.

NOTE:
If you are using fresh figs, it will be necessary to use 3 or 4 times the stated amount of fruit.
Boil the honey in some water in a large pot -- it will boil up quite high. Allow it to simmer while skimming the foam off the top. Continue until it no longer forms any foam.
If adding honey rather than sugar for a sweet wine, boil 1/2 cup honey with 1 cup water rather than in some of the wine. Skim as above. Allow to cool completely before mixing it back into the wine.

old post's but it's relavant to what I want to make.... FIG wine
I've got 2 fig trees and they'r both loaded down with figs(green right now). So I'll be waiting until they're ripe. Anyone got a "guess-ta-ment" on how many pounds of fruit come off one tree??
Question, you'all that made the fig wine, and the honeysuckle/fig wine, how did it turn out?
Did you end up with a concrete recipie? And any advice you can throw my way. I'd really like to make this in a 5 gal size but I need ideas on how much of everything to add, when to add, ect...
Thanks for any (ANY) advice you can send,
TinaLouise

Well....... The resurrection of this thread has made me want to try a bottle, since I didn't last year when I said I would.

The taste is somewhat what I expected.......... like a cheap $6 bottle of no named white wine..............

On the good side, it's getting better! Last time I tried it I spit it out and dumped the bottle. This time it has a nice fruity overtone of kiwi....plumy flavor, not much discernible fig taste, or honey suckle for that matter, however there is honeysuckle to the nose, which is nice. Seems well balance of acids all though there is a definable bite from the alcohol on the throat.

Perhaps a little sweeter? Maybe. However I suspect another year in the basement and it will sweeten on it's own to make this a pretty good drinker.

In the mean time, I will sit here and finish my 750ML bottle and contemplate whether you should waste 3 years making this wine..............
Or just send me all your figs and I'll keep ya posted............. every year.

Edfit:

I have to admit, after letting a glass sit here in the open for a while, it has really brought forward the honeysuckle flavor giving it a sweeter mouth feel.

I think another year or 2 and this could be a very pleasant wine.

My fig tree is loaded as well. This is the first year we should have plenty of figs of our own. Still have to share with the birds and squirrels. I didn't get enough last year to try to make any wine. I hope to get enough to make a 3 gallon batch. (12-15 pounds)

jobe05 said:
The taste is somewhat what I expected.......... like a cheap $6 bottle of no named white wine..............

All that work &amp; well that's sure not what I wanted to hear
smiley19.gif

Has anyone thought of makeing this into a sweet concentrate to add to another wine at the end?? Like when making those wines that come with F-packs??? Like making up your own... say a Fig-White Merlot ???
Is it possible to do something like that??
Any ideas on how to make it??
Thanks, TinaLouise

I've made fig wine every year since I started making wine 7 years ago. Properly aged and sweetened just a tad it come out like a nice White Zinfandel. 4lbs/gallon and only 1.75 lbs sugar plus the usual suspects. Its been a winner every year.

SWMBO just stated the figs are for preserves...........

She's never made fig preserves before.... Not that I've ever made fig wine before..... I might have to outsource for figs.

Back