fertilizer???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
i was thinking of adding fertilizer to my 2 year old vines this weekend. i have nenver added any kind of fertilizer before.
good idea/bad idea?
if good, what kind and how much.
as always, all advice appreciated. i must say, the vines look great.

The best option would be to have the soil tested first. You can get it done by the county ag department in most states. Also some farm supply houses will do the tests. If your vines look good at this point, I would be reluctant to apply much this time of year. Usually best to apply just at budbreak in the spring. Without a test, in the spring you can apply up to a cupful around the vine(keep it about a foot away and work it in to the top couple inches). If you get the soil tested they will ask what is the intended crop. They will give recommendations for that crop based on what you have in the soil. If your soil is deficient in any nutrients, the vines will show symptoms, such as yellowing lower leaves with green ones farther up with Nitrogen deficiency. Don't apply heavy nitrogen applications after August 15 or you will stimulate lush new growth that won't have a chance to harden off sufficiently before frost.

As usual good luck with your growing hobby.
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back