Fermenting Temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSmith3011

Reaction score
I am on week two of my 6 Gal of Concord, this is my first attempt at making wine. Since moving to the secondary the air lock bubbles slowed to nothing, the SG is down to .995. The wine is settling with lots of lee's on the bottom (about 2-3 inches). The must has an internal temp of 72F. I notice if the temp is raise by a degree or two the bubbles start going again.
My question is, should I encourage this fermenting and keep the temp warmer? I would very much like to have MLF occur to mellow the acidic feature of Concord.
Thanks in advance.

Bubbles don't mean anything by way of fermentation, use SG. And that's a little cool to me. Someone else will come by and throw in their 2 cents though. Prob. have more experience than me.

your fine no need to change the temp ....... some yeast will remain active some of the little guys are tucked away in the lees and some died off or are on there way. the MLF usually will take place within 30-40 days

Thanks for the info. I did not add a ML starter. I am planning to cold stabilize to lower acid of the Concord. If I can get a natural ML going I wold be happy too. I will just leave things as is for now.

Latest posts

Back