fermenting stopped?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb8484

Junior
Reaction score
I have 3 gallon carboys of wine going, 2 are rhubarb that I racked for the 1st time 4 days ago. the other is blackberry/raspberry that I put into the carboy the same date. I have the S airlocks on them. I know that the water levels are not an exact indicator of fermentation, but one of the rhubarb and the berry wine don't look like there is anything going on. The fluid levels are even. Do I need to worry about this? The room is steady at 70 degrees.

What was the date you started them. May be finished. I just had a blackberry finish in 14 days from 1.060 went to .990 in 2 weeks.

take a hydrometer reading, this is the only way to know if your wine is done fermenting.

The berry wine has been in the carboy for 4 days and the SG is .994! The rhubarb wines are less than .990. They've been in the 2nd rack for also 4 days. Honestly, I've never really used SG to do the fruit wines I make. I guess I better start. Why did they go so fast? What do I do now? I'll top the rhubarb now, the berry doesn't need topping.

They're probably close to done fermenting - wanna check for the same SG 3 days in a row

When that happens they'll most likely drop their gross lees & you'll want to watch for it to compact a bit and rack off.

Then 3-6 weeks later, it'll drop sur lees, finer particles, mostly dead yeast.. You'll want to rack off that too, carefully, when its compacted some

After that, theres stabilizing with k-meta (and sorbate if you plan on backsweetening), degassing/clearing & aging..

Follow Deezil's instructions and you will have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back