Fermenter Head Space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcalli1

Reaction score
My M&M Sangiovese must and M&M Cab juice are thawed and I'm getting ready to blend them in a 10-gal fermenter before pitching the yeast. My question is how much space should I leave at the top of the bucket for fermentation expansion?

I usually have 2 or 3 inches while in the ferment bucket. 6 gallon batch in a 7.5bucket. Had no problem yet.

I usually have 2 or 3 inches while in the ferment bucket. 6 gallon batch in a 7.5bucket. Had no problem yet.

Thanks. Three inches is what I was planning on, but I didn't know if that was going to be enough for a larger batch.

Thanks. Three inches is what I was planning on, but I didn't know if that was going to be enough for a larger batch.

Note that he was referring to the space for 6 gallons of wine. I think a good rule of thumb is at least 20% head space when working with skins, preferably 25%.

Last edited:
Note that he was referring to the space for 6 gallons of wine. I think a good rule of thumb is at least 20% head space when working with skins, preferably 25%.

So, 4-5 inches on my 21 inch, 10 gal fermenter. Hmm. I may use a 20 gal then. The Sangiovese must is 27L (~7 gal which I expect to press out to around 4-5 gals juice) and I expected to add about 3 Gals of Cab. Now that I've said that, I think I will switch to the 20 gal. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back