fermentation temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if these fermentation temps looks normal? If not, is there anything I should do?

Temps were taken with a IR Gun.. Room temp was 71F

SP - 72F
Apfelwein - 73F
Pinot Grigio - 74.5F

What's odd to me is that the SP was started 1st on 9/15, Sunday morning. The other 2 were started early evening of 9/16.

Based on the temps alone, I have feeling that the Pinot will be done 1st, then Apfelwein and lastly SP.

I'm not sure if you saw my thread about my SP smelling like rubber, but I'm not wondering I should help the SP with a heating pad to help it along.... Will a heating pad help or should I leave it alone?

Thanks!

The temperature looks fine. Yeast produces heat as it ferments. The heating pad is more work than worth, you are only 2.5 degrees between them. A blanket will trap heat if you want more.
Fruit aroma is better with cool temps. I currently have a mulberry/ grape in a 50F fridge and pulled a watermelon out just before that.
Rubber? If you are stressing yeast it can produce sulfur. I have had more SO2 when running 75 (faster ferment) than 65 on the same grape. Did you add yeast nutrient to decrease stress?

The temperature looks fine. Yeast produces heat as it ferments. The heating pad is more work than worth, you are only 2.5 degrees between them. A blanket will trap heat if you want more.
Fruit aroma is better with cool temps. I currently have a mulberry/ grape in a 50F fridge and pulled a watermelon out just before that.
Rubber? If you are stressing yeast it can produce sulfur. I have had more SO2 when running 75 (faster ferment) than 65 on the same grape. Did you add yeast nutrient to decrease stress?

Yes, I did and the smell looks to be gone.

I just went to stir the three and took temps again. The SP has me worried..

Current temps are:

SP - 71.9
Apfelwein - 73
Pinot - 76.4

The reason the SP has me worried is that when I stirred, I got less than 1/2 the CO2 release I normally get. I took a hydrometer reading and it's @ 1.064, which is where it was last night. I think the fermentation is stalling out. Should I try and add more yeast or a different yeast?

BTW, the Pinot is going gangbusters... I

What yeast did you use for your Skeeter Pee? Have you added nutrients to it?? What was your starting SG for it.

To me temps are far less important than is the SG changing and by how much.

Red Star Premium Blanc
3 tsp nutrient and 1 tsp energizer to start
added addition 2 tsp nutrient and 1 tsp energizer yesterday because of rubber smell (no real smell of rubber now)
OG 1.071

Since the SG isn't down to 1.050, I haven't added the last of the lemon juice or the additional 3/1 of Nutri/Ener. At it's current rate of fermentation, I probably won't get to 1.050 for another week or more, unless I do something to pick it back up.

Latest posts

Back