Fermentation temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcorey

Reaction score
I intend to crush and ferment 200 lbs of Argentinian Malbec grapes this spring. The grapes will ferment in a 32 gallon Brute container which will be in my 60 degree basement.

Should I be adding heat to the area via heat belts or space heaters or will the heat generated from the fermenting grapes be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I intend to crush and ferment 200 lbs of Argentinian Malbec grapes this spring. The grapes will ferment in a 32 gallon Brute container which will be in my 60 degree basement.

Should I be adding heat to the area via heat belts or space heaters or will the heat generated from the fermenting grapes be enough?

Thanks in advance!

What type of yeast are you planning on using? Most can do their thing in the 60deg range. It is easy to go to the yeast manufactures web page and read the recommended temp range. The ferment will be slower to cooler it is. In my opinion you get more flavor extraction the slower the ferment. I would say you are going to end up with 10-15 gal of finished wine.

RR

Honestly, with that much grape all in one container, I would be more worried about it getting too hot than I would be about it not being hot enough.

Thanks in advance!

That should yield you about 20 gallons of must.... Your container will be about 2/3 full which is perfect. I like to get the must temp up to about 65 to 70 before pitching.... 65 is the bottom side though... Try to keep the temp of the area it is fermenting in about the same.... So I guess my answer would be..... Yes. But i find belts are too aggressive. I use them only to warm the must up initially then use space heaters.....

Sam

Honestly, with that much grape all in one container, I would be more worried about it getting too hot than I would be about it not being hot enough.

You don't get into volume / heat problems until you are fermenting at least half a tonne in one container ,, 200lbs is less than a full brute .

200lbs at 60'f ambient is still a bit on the low side , a small portable heater wouldn't be a bad idea .
Put something to act like insulation under the fermenter and wrap the fermenter in a moving blanket

200lbs of grapes will give you about 2 six gallon carboys of finished red wine .

Last edited:
I agree (word for word) with sdelli and altavino!

Although some heat will be generated, you will not have to ever worry about your 20 gallons of must getting too warm.

I normally open ferment in 600 liter vats and prefer to bring the must to 75 degrees before I pitch my yeast. I always take temp and sg reading twice daily during fermentation and I have never had a wine temp spike beyond 90 degrees.

Agreed , we use the large brutes with 300 lbs plus in each one .
Getting them too hot is next too impossible unless your ambient temp is 100'f plus , it can actually be difficult to get an 85'f heat spike to get good extraction in them.

Agreed , we use the large brutes with 300 lbs plus in each one .
Getting them too hot is next too impossible unless your ambient temp is 100'f plus , it can actually be difficult to get an 85'f heat spike to get good extraction in them.

I almost always can realize a 90 degree spike (I prefer a 90 to 92 degree spike) in most cases. I like to burn off the fruit.

I do this by adjusting the heat in the winery (lucky enough to have its own heat zone).

I should have said without artificialy heating the winemaking area. you apply enough heat you could boil the must , but I was talking about the natural exothermic heat of the ferment, related to the 200- 400 lb volume.

Latest posts

Back