fermentation stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskie003

Reaction score
got a bucket each of Chilean syrah, merlot, and zinfandel. started them all the same time (about may 20) in buckets, and threw in a yeast starter. all initially read the same on the hydrometer (1.100 sg, 13 potential alcohol). by june 3 (day 15) the syrah and merlot were at or very close to 1.000 sg or 0 potential alcohol. the zinfandel is on day 17 now and has been at about 1.025 sg or 3 potential alcohol for probably the last six days. ive moved the other two into glass but im worried the zin is stuck. temperature in the room has been a pretty constant 66F. ive been stirring vigorously at least once a day since they started. any suggestions?

I'm curious as to what yeast you used. At this point I would warm it up to 73* / 75* give it a good stir and a bit of yeast nutrient.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Turock has a nice bit on yeast nutrient listed in the Country Fruit Forum ... Sour vs Sweet Juices. It might save you some headache
on future wines.

I just managed to fix a similar problem I had with my cab Sauv. It took energizer to finally make a stuck fermentation start up again for me. I also did a starter with K1118 because I suspected to original yeast I used RC212 might be at it's max for alch based on the amount of fruit and sugar already eaten by the yeast.

Hope this helps. It took 2 pkts of 1118 w starter before energizer made the difference.

Pam in cinti

Forgot to mention that I had already added additional nutrient which is how I knew it was not the prob. Didn't want to add more since left over nutrient can cause problems.

pinc

I'm a fan of rc212 and use it on most of my fruit wines. I seldom shoot for more than 12 or 13% abv and feed it the needed nutrient in 3 stages finishing up with yeast energizer. If you are stuck you may want to try a more aggressive yeast such as lalvin 1118 introducing it as a yeast starter. I still think your temp should be in the mid 70's.

Last edited:
Back