Fermentation Started w/adding yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amadago

Junior
Reaction score
So I just bought some juice, put it downstairs and completely forgot to add the Potassium Meta. to kill the wild yeast - amateur hour, I know. By the time I remembered, the fermentation had clearly started on its own. I'm not a fan of the "wild yeast" method, is it to late to add a controlled yeast? Or just kill it and re-start it?

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Hmm - good question. I think you might have a couple options - you could add your k-meta - and stop what has started and kill off any bacteria - wait 24 ours and pitch your yeast.

Or go ahead and pitch your yeast - this yeast will take over - then just be sure to add the k-meta once fermentation is complete.

Wait and see what some more folks have to say.

Yea, make a small starter and add. This yeast should be much stronger than the wild yeast.
"The strong shall survive"!

Thanks

Thanks guys. I did some Googling around and thought that might be the best option, so I ended up putting the Potassium Meta in there to kill whatever had started. Tonight I added the traditional yeast starter. Appreciate the help.

mike

I agree with Tom. I would not have added any meta but just added a yeast starter. Either way you should be ok. Let us know how you make out.

I agree with the last two posts... I'm sure it will be fine, but there was no need to add the KMS at that point. In fact, if you read a lot of the more recent studies on the effects of sulfiting must prior to fermentation, there seems to be a fair amount of evidence suggesting that there is not too much benefit from it. If you were to just add your yeast starter, the cultured yeast would likely overtake any wild yeast and dominate the ferment.

I don't have the book with me at the moment to cite the research, but "Wine Science" by Ronald Jackson has a good section on the addition of sulfite to must.

I would still recommend it if you are working from grapes that are in poor condition, or maybe if you're planning an extended cold-soak; but if things are looking pretty clean and you're going to start fermentation right away, the value of a KMS addition is debatable.

Latest posts

Back