fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterroz

Junior
Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of white wine. It's a little over 3 weeks old and the air lock is bubbling every 2 minutes or so. Do you think fermentation is done? I did rack it after the first week from a bucket to a carboy.

Mix masterroz, After 3 weeks, it should be done, but you need to check the wine with a hydrometer, anything else would be pure speculation.
A hydrometer is one of the most important tools that we can have in our arsenal.

Agree with the pumpkinman. Need to check the density. But I would say it isn't finished if it is still bubbling. Some fermentations are slow. Depends on many factors; nutrients, temperature, yeast strain, etc.

Mix masterroz, After 3 weeks, it should be done, but you need to check the wine with a hydrometer, anything else would be pure speculation.
A hydrometer is one of the most important tools that we can have in our arsenal.

I agree that (in most cases) three weeks is usually enough time for fermentation to complete, however this is not carved in stone.

A lot depends on the temerature and amount of sugar in your must. I know that a cold fermentation can last well beyond 3 weeks. As the others have said, get a hydrometer (they are cheap, usually about $8) and test it.

That'll work. I do have a hydrometer I just haven't checked the gravity since I initially racked it. At that time the hydrometer showed it under "wine". Next time I'll note the exact number. Thanks a lot for the help.

Bubbling is no way to tell. Is could be just releasing C02. Rack it off the gross lees and let is go alone its merry way. Unless you are in a hurry(BAD WINE MAKER)then when you have same SG for 3 days, its finished fermenting

Latest posts

Back