Fermentation Longevity RC212

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1

Reaction score
Started off a 5 gal batch of cranberry/pomegranate from juice bought at Wally World. Gave all of the proper ingredients and used RC212 as the yeast. Had it on hand and figured what the heck, use it. This was on 28 Oct 14. SG was 1.09. I have watched this batch bubble ever since. I have racked it twice. Splash racked it the last time and it still merrily bubbles along. Doesn't bubble as a hard fermentation, but about every 2 minutes CO2 escapes through the airlock. Have not checked the SG because it's still bubbling. Also, there is air bubbles around the edge on top of the wine. Anyone have thoughts or advise? Just leave it alone until it quits bubbling? This has been a l..o..n..g fermentation.

A bubbling airlock does not mean it is still fermenting, you need to check the SG.

I agree with Thig. From my signature..."Visual signs of fermentation are highly overrated".

In this case CO2 from the fermentation is continuing to slowly escape. I'm a bit surprised it's taken over 2 months, but it's happening.

Your hydrometer is your best friend when trying to understand what is happening. As Trig said, take a reading.

Steve

Thanks guys. I'll check it the next two days running. No change, I'll proceed accordingly.

Back