Fermentation ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battleox

Junior
Reaction score
If your struggling with the cold, and don’t have a proper setup like myself to keep your fermentation going. then try using a heated blanket, make sure your blanket doesn’t have a automatic shut off and if it does just watch keep an eye on it the one I used I got at Walmart, also keep checking the warmth of your must make sure you don’t kill off the yeast hope this helps some of you, I’m only about 2 years into wine making but this allows me to keep going through the winter monthsIMG_0002.JPG

Go to Lowe's or any home improvement store. Buy a piece of 1" or 2" thick foam insulation board with the silver backing. Use Elmers glue to glue 4 sides and a bottom. The silver foil coated board would be easy to clean if you put the silver side in. A loose fitting cover of the same material and you have an insulated box. Most ferments will generate enough heat to keep itself warm in an insulated box like that. All you have to do is get it warm enough for the ferment to start and the ferment should self warm. Just a small hole or two in the top will permit gassing out .

Here's a link to a Lowe's page that lists their various foam board material. One time investment and I suspect 1 x 4x8 sheet would make at least a couple of containers for ferments.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=foam+board+insulation

Latest posts

Back