Fermaid-k

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
Pinot Grigio juice in primary since 2/28/12. SG 1.070 at start. Robust fermentation taking place. The fermaid-k pack says add 1/3 rd through fermentation. What if I miss the 1/3rd mark should I forget it or add any way?

Fermain K dosing is so that you will have enough nutrients to carry through to the end of fermentation. If you have avery active fermentation, then there is a possibility that nutrients will be exhausted prior to the end of conversion of all of the sugars. Dosing midstream assures that the yeast doesn't run out of nutrients, a common reason for stuck or shut down fermentations. I would still use the Fermaid K midstream dosing....it is the end of the fermentation that you are worried about....not the exact time that you are adding the nutrients. When the dosing occurs won't have any affect on the final taste of the wine, only whether it will ferment to finish.
Hope this helps.

I agree. If the SG is still above 1.000, I would go ahead and add the FermaidK.
If it is at 1.000, but still dropping, I would add about 1/3 of the dosage originally called for. Dissolve FermaidK in a little warm water or some of your wine. Stir it in well, but gently.

Having extra FermaidK in your wine at the end of fermentation is not terribly bad, as it will get racked off, anyway. However, most of the time one does not want anything in the wine other bacteria can munch on and use to grow.

Latest posts

Back