Femenation went too fast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy509

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Well this year we purchased 36 boxes of Petite Syrah here in Florida. We picked the grapes up on Saturday 09/28 and crushed the same day. So we have 18 boxes in the large fermenter and the other boxes dispersed into three 32 gallon covered containers.
I used D254 yeast which I inoculated after 24 hours along with the appropriate amount of go ferm.The grapes are macerating in the wine cellar we built and can control the temp with a walkin cooler unit.
On day three/ yesterday, the temp of the must got up to 90 degrees so I lowered the cellar temp and now it is 58 in there and the temp of the must is 76 in the large vat and 66 in the small vats.
The brix started out at 23 and now the large vat is -1 and 0 in the three smaller vats.
We have planned the press on Sunday Oct 6th. So are we ok to wait as long as we keep punching down the cap and keeping the temp down?
Sorry this is so long.
Thanks

Last edited:
Revised and I also added Fermaid K to the mix on day after the yeast and added again yesterday but the brix was below the 1/3 drop due to the accelerated fermentation.

It should be fine, and many folks aim for a brief spike over 90 to increase extraction. It sounds like things went dry fast. So that's a good thing since it didn't stick or stall out.

My one experience with D254 was similar. Very fast with the must temp climbing to 90. Since then, I've split up my fermentations into 15 gallon units which are easier to keep cool. I also switched to Fermaid O which I think doesn't let things go as fast.

This is just opinion, not backed by experience, but I think you're fine waiting until Sunday. But if the cap falls, then I'd want to press right away. But even if the cap falls on Saturday, some plastic wrap layed down on the must will protect it for the 24-48 hours we're talking about.

Should be fine, keep the cap wet. If you’re worried, you can pitch the ML culture and put press and seal for the extended maceration. Then you have some CO2 going under the plastic.

Today the all the must is a -1 Brix. I am keeping the cap covered tight with plastic wrap and a plastic shower liner. Temps are 66 and 60 with the cellar temp at 58 so I think we will be ok till Sunday. The wine tastes dry but not tart.

Back