Other Favorite Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm1212

Reaction score
Ok, I'd like to hear about other's favorite kits. Here's the criteria: To be a favorite you should have made it more than once and liked it both times. You get to pick a white and a red and say why along with anything special you do to it. Please keep it to one of each color, it's tempting to list more than one but you have to pick :). My red is a little cheap considering the expensive kits I've made, but we really do like it so I just have to list it.

Red - World Vineyard Australian Shiraz - This is quick to drink and it's your basic red table wine. Goes with everything. We actually did a side-by-side test with some purchased red wines and we pick this as better every time. I made this stock with about a month extra in the carboy both times.

White - Selection International Italian Pinot Grigio - Amazing, simple white wine. Perfect with fish. I left this in the carboy an extra 3 months the second time but couldn't tell any difference.

steve

Ok, I'd like to hear about other's favorite kits. Here's the criteria: To be a favorite you should have made it more than once and liked it both times. You get to pick a white and a red and say why along with anything special you do to it. Please keep it to one of each color, it's tempting to list more than one but you have to pick :). My red is a little cheap considering the expensive kits I've made, but we really do like it so I just have to list it.

Red - World Vineyard Australian Shiraz - This is quick to drink and it's your basic red table wine. Goes with everything. We actually did a side-by-side test with some purchased red wines and we pick this as better every time. I made this stock with about a month extra in the carboy both times.

White - Selection International Italian Pinot Grigio - Amazing, simple white wine. Perfect with fish. I left this in the carboy an extra 3 months the second time but couldn't tell any difference.

steve

Your criteria is a bit restrictive, especially since there are so many kits to choose from. We've been at this for almost four years now, made 65 kits at this point, and out of those kits, only 3 have been repeats. The reason they we're purchased more than once had more to do with finding a good deal on those particular kits, rather than them being our favorites. Plus we started with mid level kits, then gravitated toward premium after about a year, so none of the kits we made in the first year were ever repeated.
A more useful list of favorites would be a top three or maybe top five list of kits you'd consider buying again, regardless of whether or not they're on sale or offered at a big discount. LE's obviously shouldn't be included on these lists, since they're usually completely sold out by the time anyone has had a chance to make and age them to the point of drinkable.

Ok, if you don't have repeats that you really liked let's hear your top two. I'm just trying to get people to really decide which kits they like the best and share that. I've only processed about 20 with 3 repeats. I repeated those three because they were so good, but maybe that's not what others are doing.

steve

My favorite red is likely going to be the CC Red Mountain Cab. I've snuck a sip or two from the barrel, and I think it will be my best to date. I'm already planning on buying another for after I've completed the WE LE Triumph and LE Super Tuscan I have on deck/ordered.

My favorite white is probably the WE Selection Pinot Grigio. I don't make a lot of whites. This is the only white I have made a second time.

My top kits would be Showcase Amarone, Winery Series Super Tuscan and the Selection International Tempranillo with grape skins, in no particular order. You can't go wrong with any of those if you like big reds.

WE Eclipse Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot. Very unique wine bursting with plums. I have never tasted another Merlot like it.
WE Selection Luna Bianca. Slightly off dry higher alcohol buttery Chardonay blend. I'm not much for whites, but I did like this one.

Good to hear about the Pinot Grigio from WE. Making this now as my first white. Been aging on the lees for about a month. Curious, those that liked it, did you follow directions exactly or did you bulk age? Sur lees? Acid additions? I like an acidic wine and thought of adding a little acid blend to reduce the ph just a little.

@ehammonds: the first time I made it, I did it following the directions...including the eventual bottling timeline...virtually exactly. It was good, but still retained some CO2. This time (it's currently clearing), I plan on letting it rest in the carboy for 3 months or so. I did no other tweaking with either kit.

I'm not really a white wine guy, but I prefer lighter, crisper dry or slightly off-dry whites. Sur lees techniques add body and mouthfeel, right? For me, that would be more appropriate for a fuller bodied white...like a Chardonnay. But I really don't know.

My favorite red is likely going to be the CC Red Mountain Cab. I've snuck a sip or two from the barrel, and I think it will be my best to date. I'm already planning on buying another for after I've completed the WE LE Triumph and LE Super Tuscan I have on deck/ordered.

My favorite white is probably the WE Selection Pinot Grigio. I don't make a lot of whites. This is the only white I have made a second time.

Thanks, I never saw this Red Mountain Cab. Looks luscious! Will have to put this one in the queue :).

Good to hear about the Pinot Grigio from WE. Making this now as my first white. Been aging on the lees for about a month. Curious, those that liked it, did you follow directions exactly or did you bulk age? Sur lees? Acid additions? I like an acidic wine and thought of adding a little acid blend to reduce the ph just a little.

Pretty much stock for me both times. I did leave the second batch bulk age for another 3 months but honestly I can't tell the difference from doing so. I've got one of the all in one wine pumps with the whole home filter setup. I've not been bulk aging much since I started filtering. I know some folks swear by it here, but it looks darn good after filtering and I'm I impatient to get it into the bottle to start the clock on drinking I guess :). I'm trying to get ahead by keeping 4 kits going so we can be more patient, we'll see.

steve

The WV Australian Shiraz is an excellent value. I made it as an early drinker and bulk aged it with French oak. It has been delightful and very popular.

As far as kits go, I only do reds. I have made pretty much every Eclipse and Showcase kit, plus several RJS Winery Series. Very hard to restrict the list, but my favorite is the Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot, followed closely by Showcase Amarone, and Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot. I would give the Showcase Red Mountain Cab and RJS WS Super Tuscan honorable mention as well.

My favorite Reds (as of today) are the CC Red Mountain Cab and the Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot. My best White was the WE Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. I have the WE Brunello and the WE Barolo aging right now and have not tasted them, so next year they might be my new 2 favorite Reds.

Hard to pick faves - especially ones I've done more than once, since some were limited release. But among my favorite reds are: CC Red Mountain Cab, CC LR Red Mountain Trio, Kenridge (Cellar Craft) Showcase Grand Red (LR), and Winery Series Super Tuscan. Haven't done many whites, but the Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc is very good. I'm actually getting ready to start my second one.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I can hit all of them. Several of you confirmed my top two so that's cool (WV Shiraz && SI Pinot Grigio). From some of the other recurring suggestions I think I'm going to queue up the red mountain cab and the eclipse savignon blanc next. After that maybe the super tuscan as it keeps coming up as a favorite on this board. I worry it might be a bit heavy for our tastes though.

steve

Just a heads up for all you Red Mountain Cab lovers, Vineco will be switching this wine to Sonoma Valley sometime in the summer. I heard they are running out of their juice source.

Just a heads up for all you Red Mountain Cab lovers, Vineco will be switching this wine to Sonoma Valley sometime in the summer. I heard they are running out of their juice source.

I have heard rumors to that effect for a couple years now. Maybe it is finally happening.

Cr@p! That's on my 'do again' list. I have plenty left from the last batch, but I've been worried they'd discontinue it.

BTW: From what I've read, the Walla Walla Cab Merlot is every bit as good (some say better).

For whites, hands down, it is the WE Selection Chenin Blanc.

For reds, it would be the winery series super tuscan.

This is an interesting thread to read!

Heather

Latest posts

Back