Fast-track the Aging Process?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocroach

Reaction score
I recently came across some information on the web about ideal temperatures for wine storage, it essentially said the cooler the temperature the slower the aging process. It also went on to say that for every degree warmer the storage temperature is, it would translate to one year faster in the aging process.

Does this mean that if I store longer-aging wines like Amarone and Barolo at a warmer temperature than suggested over a short period of time (say, 1 year), that it will age and develop the same way than if they were stored at a lower temperature for a longer period of time (say, 2-3 years)? Has anyone tried this and compared?

I am obviously itching to taste what my Amarone is supposed to taste like at its peak and thought maybe raising the temperature might fast-track the aging process. I just bottled the Amarone four months ago, so I have a long wait ahead of me and the Barolo is still enroute in the mail somewhere. :dg

:a1

Cocroach, remember it takes nine months to make a baby. You can't get three women to have a baby in three months! My point is some things cannot be rushed. What is ususally quoted as the "ideal" temperature and humidity for aging wine is 55 degrees F and 75% RH. My feeling is that the closer I can get to these numbers, the better.

Thanks Rocky, I see your point... I guess I was hoping for some sort of magic silver-bullet solution to avoid having to wait.

Amateurs eh?! :e

Last edited:
I've been bulk aging my cab sav for roughly a month. The temp has been fro 68-74F, is that way to warm?

if that temp is to warm what damage my i have caused to the wine...

Kahaas, I see you live in Mt. Lebo so you surely have a basement. I would try to find a storage area near basement walls that are underground. Keep the wine as low as possible (air is cooler near the floor) but not on a concrete floor. A piece of wood between the carboy and concrete is good. If you can insulate them from warm air, all the better. It is also important when aging wine to keep the temperature relatively constant and keep the wine free from vibrations. Your temperature will not hurt your wine but you may not be able to keep it for a number of years. My basement stays between 60-64 degrees F and I am near Columbus, Ohio. I keep my wine in the Northwest corner of my basement which get the least heat gain from sunlight.

At higher temperatures the wine will age quicker, but it will not develop into what it might have been if aged at a reasonable (lower) temperature.

The longer the aging time can be extended without the wine going bad, the better. Generally, higher tannin wines can age longer and are protected while the wine develops. Time makes all the difference!

If you are itching to know how it will taste when better aged, fill an empty plastic water bottle 3/4 full of the wine and freeze it for 2 weeks. Later, let it thaw naturally and slowly to room temperature. The result will taste very much like the wine should taste in about 12 months, except it won't have the middle palette and the finish will be shorter. Still, it will give you something to which to look forward.

Problem is, if this is a kit, the kit taste will still be present. It will take 18 months or more for that taste to fully subside.

Thanks for the interesting tid-bit Robie. I think I will give the frozen wine thing a go.

As far as the "kit" taste you mention, I did make this from a kit, though I'm not entirely what a kit taste is supposed to be like. I've made three so far and other than noticing a slight flatness, I haven't noticed anything as far as taste.

How would you describe a "kit" taste, and is there an option to buy Amarone raisins on their own so I can try making this without a kit??

Thanks for the interesting tid-bit Robie. I think I will give the frozen wine thing a go.

As far as the "kit" taste you mention, I did make this from a kit, though I'm not entirely what a kit taste is supposed to be like. I've made three so far and other than noticing a slight flatness, I haven't noticed anything as far as taste.

How would you describe a "kit" taste, and is there an option to buy Amarone raisins on their own so I can try making this without a kit??

Kit taste is sort of a chemical taste, that you don't find in commercial wines. That's great if you don't have it or maybe just can't taste it.

I believe there are places on the internet where you can order wine grape raisins and juice from Italy, but I don't have any particular URL. Just look up Italian wine grape raisins.

About the freezing technique, understand that your wine aged properly will turn out better than the frozen example. That should be a good thing. :try

Here's a place someone put on the forum awhile back. They sale wine grape raisins, which I thought is very interesting. I know nothing about them and am not recommending them. Just move with caution.

http://www.domainegeorgia.com/

Let us know if you use them and it works out for you.

ok I have to ask this, what makes a kit have a chemical taste compared to a juice, don't you use the same additives?

ok I have to ask this, what makes a kit have a chemical taste compared to a juice, don't you use the same additives?

Most kits are from concentrate and they are all pasteurized. I believe even full 23 liter kits are sometimes reconstituted before they are packaged. Chemicals have been added to protect the concentrate, to balance and to prevent MLF.

All this creates what I refer to as kit taste (KT). It takes a year or more for it to go away and is more prevalent in red kits than whites.

Juice buckets can also have KT if they have been reconstituted. However, I don't think many juice buckets are reconstituted.

The best advice can be found here. I'm ready to try the three women thing.

Latest posts

Back