Fast Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSW1

Junior
Reaction score
I saw this setup on the web

It is an aquarium pump used with a vinbrite filter assembly and pushes it through. The same process can be used for racking.
I have seen some complaints that it exposes the wine to too much air. The other complaints that I have seen with both push and pull methods are that the carboys are not made to take this kind of stress and they will eventually break

20090102_094829_filter2.jpg

What do you think? Aquarium pumps are $10

Thanks
Bret

At this point, if they are filtering,one would assume they are going to bottle. I wouldn't be concerned with the 02, or the little pressure on the carboys that pump would produce. I use the gravity filter on the rare occasion I do filter but the longer I do this hobby , the less I am in a hurry, and the more I let time do the work.

I don't see any real problem with that method. It is just a way of creating a positive pressure siphon. It works the same as breathing into the carboy cap to start a siphon only it is continual so you can keep the source and destination on the same level.

The two best parts of vacume is that:
1 It degasses the wine.
2 vacume pullsthe hoses and partstogether ( positive pressure blows things apart)

I have played with these pumps before. A ten dollar pump would take hours. ( not too bad with a filter )

It works very well on 55 gal drum ofOIL with a portable $30 battey powered tire pump IN THE SUMMER.On a full drum ittakes 7 minutes to get the pressure up to 15 pounds. when it gets to 15 pounds turn the pump off and 8 minutes later the drum is empty. It is the easyest way that I have found.

Id like to know what kind of PSI it would push, probably not much but carboys are much better with vacuum the pressure although I highly dought that pump can produce enough pressure to explode a carboy. Not o sure about the 02 but it cant be much worse then what some wine pumps do to wine as they run through impellers and infuse 02 into the wine like in some commercial wineries.

I said that I have played with these pumps
smiley9.gif
........................ Well
smiley9.gif
.................If you put the hose in your mouth and let it fill your mouth with air it takes a while and you can stop the pump from pumping. They do make better aquarium pumps.

Yep, how to tutorials,page 2, how to marti-jet. Posted by Masta.

Latest posts

Back