F-Paks and Pectic Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ChuckGauthier

Reaction score
I asked a question a few days ago on a blackberri F-Pak and it was attached to a current blackberri post and no one has picked up on it so I will ask the question here by itself. I f-pak'ed a blackberri wine and even after it had set since last aug ageing in a carboy I was surprised to see 3 inches of sediment of some sort on the bottom. I did not add any pectic enzyme to the F-Pak. I am about to F-Pak some plum, so is PECTIC ENZYME needed and is that why all the sediment in my blackberrie. This is something I have not seen discussed and I have read almost every thread on this forum and check in almost daily. Thank you for your help, I've had good luck on my wines because of it.

I am not much of a fruit wine guy, but will ask you a question or two, which might help the fruit wine people.

The wine has been aging for awhile, but when exactly did you add the f pack? Several months ago or just recently?

The f pack, if it contains any solids at all, always will cause sediment to form on the bottom. So the idea of sediment forming after adding an F pack has little to do with Pectin enzyme.

Sorry if I am not following your question very well.

The sediment was more like a three inch cloud, suspended above the bottom of the carboy, was able to siphon into a 1 gal jug, 4 gals perfectly clear. F-Pak was added 4 months ago along with back sweetening and potasium sorbate.

Could be pectic haze. Did you add any clearing agents? if not nows the time. Also would not hurt to add pectic enzyme.

Nothing added, wine separated into 1 gal jugs with airlocks......4 jugs clear wine, one jug with the cloudy stuff in the fridge. I will add pectic enzyme to that one jug......

The question asked though, is pectic enzyme needed in an F-Pak for fruit wine and if so, how much?

1ST I hope you added sulfite and sorbate.
2nd better safe that sorry .. add the PE
post the recipe and how you made the f-pac

Receipi from forum
Blackberry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackberry Wine 6 gallon recipe
36 lbs of previously frozen and thawed Blackberries
10 1/2 lbs – White Table Sugar
1 – Red Grape Concentrate
1/4 tsp – Liquid Pectic Enzyme or 3tsp powdered
2 tsp – Acid Blend
6 tsp – Yeast Nutrient
1/4 tsp – K-Meta
3 tsp – Yeast Energizer
5 3/4 Gallons – Water
1 Sachet – Lalvin 71B 1122

5 gallon paint strainer bag full of berries frozen
SG to 1090

K-meta and sorbate added after fermentation complete

2 gal berries frozen, 4 cups water simmered down to about half volume, strained into wine.....did not add pectic enzyme at this point

Last edited:
Looks good.
Remember Time will clear. This can take 6 months. Rack only when there is a firm amt of sediment. Dont rush it
U shoulld get a nice wine here.

I have wine that has sediment after a year. It clears at its pace, not ours
I always use PE in F Packs and I did add that in my post in that thread, you must of missed it

Last edited:
I have 4 gals of clear wine and the one gal with the floatly sediment, I have now added PE to and it is on the counter under airlock. The wine is backsweetened to about 1.012 and is very tasty, had enough to try some. This is the first wine that I have added an F-Pak to. Does anyone have an amount of PE per gal to use with an F-Pak? I added 1/2 teaspoon to the affected gal.

fpac/enzyme

IMO--yes sludge to the bottom,PE can be used at any time in fruit wine making in the begging for breakdown of solids and at the end for finishing,of Pétain haze,the plum wine however unless your using all fruit ,no need,good raking practices will win out...IMO....:mny

I f-pak'ed a blackberri wine and even after it had set since last aug ageing in a carboy I was surprised to see 3 inches of sediment of some sort on the bottom.

A wine that has finished and cleared is chemically and biologically in balance.

So when you add something to this all kinds of chemical reactions can occur. these may cause the wine getting clouded again, alter flavor and/or taste etc.

Adding pectic enzyme might do the trick. Time is your best friend. Let it sit for a couple of months.

Luc

As far amounts to add per gallon, ive seen some variations on this but typically anywhere from 1/2tsp to 1tsp per gallon. ive even heard of 1.5 tsp per gallon but have never gone that high. i typically use 1 tsp per gallon.

Latest posts

Back