WineXpert F-pack in primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniJ323

Reaction score
I just started an Island Mist Green Apple Riesling kit, I followed someones advice and added half the F-pack to the primary. Do I need to refrigerate the other half now that it has been opened?

Thanks ;o)

It wouldn't hurt. just keep it sealed as best you can. Are you planning on bumping the % as well?

I refrigerate the opened F-pack as well. Just warm it back up to room temperature before adding it at the end.

Although I haven't added up front myself, I understand adding half should raise the alcohol by about 2%.

...Are you planning on bumping the % as well?

That was my intention. I also added 4 cups of sugar, it only brought up the SG to 1066.
BTY - how do you figure potential alcohol?

I use starting SG minus finishing SG times 133.
eg
OG = 1.066
FG = 0.996
diff = 0.070 x 133 = 9.3%

That was my intention. I also added 4 cups of sugar, it only brought up the SG to 1066.
BTY - how do you figure potential alcohol?

This is what i use:

Starting SG - Ending SG * 131.8 = PA

I.E. = 1.085 – 0.996 * 131.8 = 11.7% PA

There are a few different equations - not sure how the equation numbers are actually figured out to get the PA.

For rough guesses at what your gravity is, just remember a few starting gravities i.e. 1.060 yields about 8%, 1.075 about 10%, and 1.090 about 12%.
Most wines finish just under 1.000 so these numbers will be close.
Or .. the easiest way - look at the hydrometer and it will tell you potential alcohol.
If you need more accurate alcohol by volume (ABV) at completion, use the formula.

Latest posts

Back