Extra wine after secondary.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTaylor

Reaction score
I racked to secondary today with a little extra wine. I know the smart thing would be to put it under airlock and use it for topping, but this is my first batch and I'm anxious to taste. Is it safe to drink at this point?

I racked to secondary today with a little extra wine. I know the smart thing would be to put it under airlock and use it for topping, but this is my first batch and I'm anxious to taste. Is it safe to drink at this point?

No, it is not safe. Instead, place wine in a nice bottle and send it to me; I'll taste it for you!!! :hug

Just kidding. Of course you can taste it. Don't be shocked, but it will not taste at all like it will after proper aging. It will be a nice reward for your hard work.

George at FineVineWines recommends tasting at each stage, including before secondary. Did you taste the must before you started fermentation?

Enjoy! Let us know your first taste's impression.

Haha Thanks for the encouragement. I went ahead and took the risk, but that still makes me feel better. Well, it doesn't taste like vinegar so that's a start! It's a little off. (Almost seems watered down.) I'm hoping that's the part that gets better.

Haha Thanks for the encouragement. I went ahead and took the risk, but that still makes me feel better. Well, it doesn't taste like vinegar so that's a start! It's a little off. (Almost seems watered down.) I'm hoping that's the part that gets better.

Yes it will get better. You are off to a good start, now start another one.

Latest posts

Back