Extra from primary fermentor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kujo66

Reaction score
Can I put extra from primary in fridge to top off carboy after racking later? How long will it keep? Will cap stay on?

Put the extra in a smaller jug, bottle, or whatever and use a bung/airlock - no frig.

This is a great way to top up. I always make sure my batches are big enough to ensure an extra bottle on the side for just this purpose.

When saving some extra for topping off. do you use the juice before you pitch the yeast, or do you use the fermented juice?

Thanks,
Sal

Use the fermented juice (wine by this time). We usually use whatever is left after we transfer it from the primary fermentor to the secondary carboy. Put in into a container of appropriate size, airlock it, and save it for topping off later.

Do you know off hand a certain sized bottle and bung that works? I can look and try to match up a bung to a bottle myself but just thought maybe you might know. i.e... Like what size bung for a pop bottle?

Get a few #2 and #3. If you have those along with #6, #6.5 & #7s you'll be able to airlock just about any bottle/carboy

Get a few #2 and #3. If you have those along with #6, #6.5 & #7s you'll be able to airlock just about any bottle/carboy

These should cover all bottles and carboys - I have all of these and have not found a bottle that these would not work with.

I like to make at least a gallon extra of whatever I am making. That way between the rackings, tastings, filtering, etc - I will come out with the right amount that i was targeting.

Latest posts

Back