Experiences with Sparkaloid and wine temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
I have a vineco white bordeaux which has been aging in a cool garage. I am needing carboy room soon, so thought I'd go ahead and bottle it this last weekend. Although clearer, it wasn't anywhere as clear as the kenridge showcase French SV when it was done with the clearing stage. It has been sitting in the garage where temps are upper 40's and was moved to basement which is probably in upper 50's to low 60's.

Thought I would try a dose of sparkaloid, so boiled and added to carboy. This wasn't a high level kit but don't see a lot of change between now and saturday.

My question is to those with experience using spakalloid in varying temps? I wonder whether temperature of the wine is holding sparkaloid from working. Can warm it, which is next step, but was hoping to keep cool and not risk pulling any crystals back into solution.

Experiences?

Sparkolloid and clearing work best in room temps. The cooler temps help to keep the sediment in suspension. Move the carboy to a warmer area @70+ degrees and it should clear.

Proper degassing of a wine is also important as trapped CO2 will hold sediment as well.

Out of all the wines I have cold stabilized none of the whie diamonds went back into the wine. I had moved them to warmer temps for a few days and then bottled. I'm sure if you were to stir the wine that could happen.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm going to throw it out there.

The settling velocity of a particle is determined by this mathematical equation:

681e37a5b0a0bdb2dd7c5906ef6fb9cc.png

Variables such as g (gravity), Ps (density of particle), P & Ps (density of water/particle), and Cd (coefficient of drag) are generally out of your control as a wine maker.

However, by manipulating temperature and/or adding coagulent agents (like bentonite and sparkolloid) you are effectively changing the d (diameter) and u (viscosity) variables.

Below I've copied some viscosity values for water (which will behave similarly to wine).

32 F - 1.787 x 10^-3
50 F - 1.307 x 10^-3
60 F - 1.002 x 10^-3
70 F - 0.798 x 10^-3
80 F - 0.653 x 10^-3

If we crunch a few numbers, we can come out with the following:
  • INCREASING temp from 32F to 70F DECREASES settling time by ~2.4 times
  • INCREASING temp from 50 F to 70 F DECREASES settling time by ~1.6 times

And so on. So I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I'd assume that the temperature (and viscosity) will have the biggest impact on settling, wither or not it's been treated with sparkolloid. Sparkolloid should increase the size of the flocs by attracting particles that are spread out via charge, but that should happen independent of temperature. (i'd think...)

Hope this helps a little!

Keep in mind these are all just theoretical equations, and real life rarely follows them exactly!

In my experience, Sparkolloid isn't always the fastest fining agent. It sometimes takes a couple weeks to a month on my wines.

Yup Jify took the words right out of my mouth and wrote it down before me. Same numbers I came up with to.

LOL h*ll I don't even know where some of those symbols are on my keyboard!

Yep, we have the same keyboard Dan, I'm pretty sure that it means if you add cut up potatoes to hot oil, they will brown & get crispy!! When I did the numbers, I came up with that.......
Al

Not sure if this helps, but I'm going to throw it out there.

The settling velocity of a particle is determined by this mathematical equation:

681e37a5b0a0bdb2dd7c5906ef6fb9cc.png

Variables such as g (gravity), Ps (density of particle), P & Ps (density of water/particle), and Cd (coefficient of drag) are generally out of your control as a wine maker.

Keep in mind these are all just theoretical equations, and real life rarely follows them exactly!

HAHAHA You are kidding right??? I have no idea what any of this means.. LOL Smile be happy!!!!:db:db:db

In my experience, Sparkolloid isn't always the fastest fining agent. It sometimes takes a couple weeks to a month on my wines.

This is what is interesting and why you should use whatever works for you. I believe for sparkolloid to work the best is to add it hot, stir briskly to mix to attach to the sediment. Stirring also degasses which aides in the sediment dropping and lastly keeping the wine in room temps, @ 73-75 degrees.

I have had most of my wines drop and greatly clear overnight to 2 days. There is still sediment falling over the next few weeks but the bulk drops quick.

Jify- I actually dig stuff like that and appreciate you adding that.

Well, I was hoping not to move and disturb sediment, (although I did moving it to basement...) but will probably take back up to my fermentation room and see if it would improve results.

I mean it was somewhat clear, just not like the higher end kit. It was degassed pretty extensively with drill, shake and mityvac so don't believe that is an issue.

Anyway, will check this out and update with findings for folks in future. Still, any additional input or physics appreciated!

J

Jify- I actually dig stuff like that and appreciate you adding that.

Anyway, will check this out and update with findings for folks in future. Still, any additional input or physics appreciated!

J

DrJay, Don't get me wrong. I did not mean any disrespect for jify I just don't have a frigging clue of what he was saying LOL. People that post things like that is what really makes this forum well rounded and the best!

Dang I knew there was something missed by not going to college!

I also did not mean any disrespect.. I was just having a little fun. I did go to college and I still did not understand.. LOL

Lol. Well I figured I'm too new at wine making to offer anything useful, so I may as well throw in the odd bit of math when I can (which I seem to have good grasp on).

Glad it helped! If you'd like anything clarified (OHH PUN!) feel free to PM me and I'll try and break things down. :)

No disrespect taken! 8D

Back