excess K-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huh?

Reaction score
All,

I made a huge mistake. I added too much K-meta to a 50 gallon batch of cranberry wine. I've been splashing the must between barrels, but nothing is working.

Any other suggestions?

Huh?

It's before fermentation. I added tablespoons instead of teaspoons.

You have 3 times the k-meta you need. How do you know that splashing between barrels is not working?

I splashed until I couldn't smell the SO2. I took a small sample from the barrel and added some yeast. Nothing has happened after 3 days. I've been splashing for 2 weeks.

OK, a little history. I've made this wine in this quantity in the past with great success. The recipe called for the addition of water to the desired quantity. I used to use well water and would treat it with k-meta prior to adding to the must. I'm now using municipal water. Following my prior practice, I filled a barrel with about 35 gallons of water a day before I crushed the berries and added the k-meta to the water. I didn't realize my mistake until after I added the water to berries/juice.

Just to be specific, how many tablespoons did you add to it?

Maybe make a starter. Rehydrate a packet of the yeast (104 degrees in 1/3 cup of water). Wait 15 minutes (but no more than 30). Add 1 cup of your juice. After a few hours, add another cup of juice. If you don't see signs of active fermentation in a day, splash some more and try again.

If it does start to ferment, then rehydrate all your yeast (8 to 10 packets?), wait 15 minutes. Add a few cups of juice. Wait an hour, and then pitch it into your juice.

Last edited:
I'd keep splashing, and keep it warm, 70-75F.

Something should take off; then add a good-size starter to override whatever started.

You're still having a math problem. My recipes say one fourth of a teaspoon for 5 gallons. If you're making 50 gallons, that should be 10 x .25 teaspoons or 2.5 teaspoons. Not 4. If the concentration should be higher for larger quantities, somebody correct me. Wow. Just Wow.

I have done this once or twice, peroxide will remove KMS. Well it wont remove it per say but it will bind it and turn it into SO3. Its safe to use as the H2O2+SO2 turns in H2O and SO3. Add a small amount of peroxide, stir, then add the yeast. Should ferment no problem

What is your sg and do you know the ph.. Things other than so2 can stall a ferment... I would imagine much of the so2 got bound.. Hace you tried doing the math and figuring out how much so2 you added?

What is a small amount?

Wine adds has a calculator: http://www.wineadds.com/ (no affiliation)

Isn't H2O + SO3 = H2SO4, which is sulfuric acid?

sorry, it was a typo and should read SO4, however, the point is the same. I cant comment on it turing into sulfuric acid (as I dont know the science well enough),however, i do know that lots of places in the world allow winemakers to use H2O2 in wines.
My best guess would be that the H2SO4 created is so small that it does not pose a risk ut that is just a guess.

Wine adds has a calculator: http://www.wineadds.com/ (no affiliation)

sorry, it was a typo and should read SO4, however, the point is the same. I cant comment on it turing into sulfuric acid (as I dont know the science well enough),however, i do know that lots of places in the world allow winemakers to use H2O2 in wines.
My best guess would be that the H2SO4 created is so small that it does not pose a risk ut that is just a guess.

So, let me put this bluntly, if you don't understand the science of a chemical reaction and are unsure about the formation of a potentially harmful chemical , why would you advice someone make said substance with the intent of drinking it?

Plus, the peroxide is likely to bind with things other than so2 in the wine thus you could be changing the overall profile of it as well.

I advice against adding peroxide into the wine. Their are other better ways to lower SO2 if you need to.... I would splash rack before I even considered doing that. First though, it would be good to have an idea of how much free so2 is in the wine....

I just did a rough estimate of the free so2 I think should be available based on a 50 gallon volume ( likely less) but I came up with 480 ppm. Now, this assumes that it does not start binding with whatever random crap it found in your must... But, perhaps a very aggressive aeration plan might help eliminate the free so2.

My math is putting your 8 tablespoon add at north of 160ppm, you'll need to dilute this concentration; I'd guess that your Free SO2 is 90ppm or higher. Do you have more juice that you can add to this. IMHO you need to roughly double your batch size.

Latest posts

Back