Eruption after adding acid blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_diver

Reaction score
I made 5 gallons of plum wine from homewinery.com concentrate back in April. I added K-meta and and K-sorbate in July. It came out a bit thin - I think it was my fault since all of their stuff has always come out well for me. PH is 3.45. So I decided to add 1/2 tsp of acid blend directly to my 5 gallon carboy tonight. As soon as I did, it foamed up and overflowed all over the floor. I've never had this happen before when adding acid blend to my wines. Is this to be expected?

Did you stir it? Even a little bit. I made the mistake of stirring after I added some acid and it was had all i could do to contain the valcano. I realized I hadn't degassed it, as soon as I stirred the light bulb went off as to what was coming next.

If you add any fine particles or anything with a rough surface (even microscopically rough surfaces) to a liquid then any gas that is trapped in the liquid will gather and be expelled like a rocket. It's called nucleation and nucleation can be a very effective way to degas..(using sanitized stainless steel or silicone screws - Daniel Pambianchi) . but simply adding powder to a gassy liquid will cause the liquid to degas in an uncontrolled way - your volcano.

That is why I always keep the de-foaming solution loaded in the eye dropper.

To keep this from happening, remove a small amount of wine from the carboy, and mix the powder - whatever it is - into the removed wine, in a small glass or something; and then return the small amount of wine with the added now-dissolved powder, back to the carboy

Latest posts

Back