RJ Spagnols En Primeur Chilean Merlot off taste (vinegar?!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent2489

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this En Primeur Chilean Merlot that I started August 8 (SG 1.1). When I racked to secondary (Sept 5, SG 0.996) I noticed that there was a vinegary smell and taste. Just had a small sample and the smell and taste is there however it seems less than it was. Any hope I will get something that tastes better out of this??

Oh yes, these EP's need lots of age and this will be a great wine!!!

RJS themselves state that EP Red wines require 6 months minimum aging before consumption. That being said, EP Reds take about 18 months to just start to show well, and after 24 months, they really start to show their value. 2 months is far too young to judge this wine.

I am considering this kit... Or another recommendation for a great Merlot kit?

The Cellar Classic Winery Series Merlot is fantastic! I think it might even be better than the EP Merlot.

I made the Cru Select Tannat Merlot and dang its good now! It was a RQ though so dont think we;ll ever see it again!
smiley13.gif

wade said:
I made the Cru Select Tannat Merlot and dang its good now! It was a RQ though so dont think we;ll ever see it again!
smiley13.gif

Thats good to know. I bottled & kegged mine in June of this year, its been aging since Sept 08. May need to try a bottle soon.
VC

brent2489 said:
I have this En Primeur Chilean Merlot that I started August 8 (SG 1.1). When I racked to secondary (Sept 5, SG 0.996) I noticed that there was a vinegary smell and taste. Just had a small sample and the smell and taste is there however it seems less than it was. Any hope I will get something that tastes better out of this??
Started Aug 8 and racked to secondary FOUR WEEKS LATER on Sept 5th.

Isn't that a little long to be in a primary? Any particular reason why? What kind of primary was it in?

I thought that the EP instructions specified a one week primary.

Steve

Latest posts

Back