Elderberry question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update: I racked the eldderberry and there was only a very little bit of green sticky stuff around the top of the juice/wine on the pail. It cleaned right up with a bit of oil on a paper towel. I'm not uh-skert of them thar stems anymore!
smiley14.gif

I think it would be great, Waldo! I wouldn't have to destem so many of those little buggers!
smiley36.gif

Joan,
You gave me enough courage to try the Elderberry wine. I got about 9 pounds when they were destemmed so I started a 3 gallon batch. I did put them in the garbage bag after they were frozen. I bashed them on the cement floor until they were all loose from the stems. Just cut a small hole in the corner and they roll right out into a pail(actually a primary). The side of the bucket picked up moisture from the frozen berries so it got damp. When I poured them from one pail to another slowly, the stems stuck to the side. I used a damp paper towel to wipe the stems off. After pouring back and forth a coupe times I deemed them clean enough! Following the recipe from the Winemaker's Recipe Handbook.

How is yours coming along?

Tomorrow- Apple Cider / Hot Pepper Wine here we come!
smiley15.gif

P.S. I'm having some sparkling Blueberry Wine from last summer- delish!Edited by: appleman

Appleman....
Apple Cider/Hot Pepper Wine?????????Is it good????? To drink or marinade?????You had quite an assortment of peppers...which ones will you use????

I have to pick a peck of peppers to pickle...and there will be still more....don't know if I have the courage to put it in wine....also will make more Jalapeño jelly for Xmas gifts...
smiley1.gif

That's interesting how you destemed those berries....wonder if it would work for these little grapes I picked today...

20060916_142339_Picture_006_Sma.jpg

What do you call those little green grapes that never mature????Is it a disease????

Was leaving them on the vine to see if they would get sweeter, but they were starting to shrivel and the stems were turning brown, so think they were done growing....

They are bursting with flavor and will make a good breakfast drink with a bit of sweetening....Have heard that the smaller the grape the more flavor and that stressed fruit makes the best wine....we will all see as our 'vineyards' mature...time will tell....

Could you post some photos of your apple pressing operation....some day I hope to have enough apples to need a press...meanwhile will watch the little darling trees grow...
smiley4.gif

Have only these 2 little trees left to pick....possible strong winds, hail, heavy rain and tornadoes tonight....glad the horse trailer/wind shelter is still parked over there....might save some branches...

20060916_143253_Picture_001_Sma.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

Your apples look great, NW!!! I probably shouldn't tell you I live in apple country, should I?
smiley9.gif

Appleman, I racked the elderberry a few minutes ago and ended up with 2 full full gallons and a beer bottle's worth.
smiley36.gif
I tell ya....for jet fuel, it kicks ass! It's gonna be good!
smiley4.gif

I'll break down and post a picture.

That is a dark wine! I noticed that when working the berries up. Any little touch to them and they just oooozzzeee color. What struck me was when there were like 2 berries in a quart of water, they turned it blue- like the fake blueberry soda they make. I look forward to it. The recipe I'm using gave me a starting SG of 1.110! I don't know whether to use a weak yeast and end up sweet, or use a strong fermenter and end up like you say with jet fuel!
smiley24.gif

Joan,

That is certainly a dark wine! I would have thought you had a shiraz there!

Appleman,

I'd use a low alcohol yeast and have a little residual sugar. 1.110 is high and with a good yeast you could get the alcohol up there. I used an RC212 on my plum/banana that had about the same SG as yours. I'm hoping for a little sweetness at the end with about 13%

It was impossible to see the lees on the bottom it's so dark. The lees are usually a bit lighter than the wine but not with this one! It kind of reminds me of octopus ink.

And yes, Appleman, it takes nothing to make an elderberry ooze! Or is that wine? =)

NW,

What are you going to do with all those apples? They look delicious!

This week I am going to juice them...for breakfast juice and winemaking...kind of a meager crop so far....friends have offered apples too....but I am running out of jars...
smiley3.gif
Think I have to mix up some wine from other juices and free up some jars...
smiley1.gif

Joan,
How is the Elderberry wine doing? I racked mine and had to sample it. Kind of a unique flavoe- pleasant, but different- kind-of sweet. I'm not sure I would like it over all the grape wines, but it will be good for a change.

Mine's in seclusion in a dark closet! I'm going to rack a bunch next weekend and that will be one of them. I'll let you know how it is. Stay tuned!

Joan how is the elderberry doing? I can't tell if mine is clear or not yet, but I see I should rack it again because ther is still a little goo on top again. I'm keeping mine under a dark t-shirt.

Oops! Sorry, appleman.. I didn't see this!

I have left my elderberry locked up in a dark closet! I haven't looked at it in forever! The green goo was at a bare minimum! I can't tell if it's clear or not either! It's like looking thru blue-black ink! It did look purdy in the siphon hose tho! =)

I see you got some snow! I saw a few flakes in the air but that's it!

Joan that wine looks like ink in a bottle....How can you tell when it is cleared????

I have the same problem with the Black Currant. Its just so dark . I
think when it is fermenting though its more of a dark purple though. I
can barely make out when there is lees on the bottom.

bmorosco said:
Joan that wine looks like ink in a bottle....How can you tell when it is cleared????

Heck if I know! I have trouble with reds!

I figure if I use green bottles and a big enough wine glass, no one will be able to see any sediment in it!
smiley4.gif

Joan at least we are all being patient with the Elderberry
smiley1.gif

I guess this one likes to keep us in the dark on it's secrets- so we keep it in the dark too. I do know it has a rather unique flavor - rather sweet and kind of......... well I'm not sure, but it's good.

Latest posts

Back