WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, stop giving me wines to make. I already have a huge todo list! :)

If you don't have the SLM on your list, it is incomplete, put it on, closer to the top.

I just started my Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel. (four batches going now) I still have a Eclipse Lodi Cab/Sauv sitting in the closet waiting. I also want to make a dry Riesling and possibility a Chenin Blanc. (I'm a huge fan of L'Ecole #41 Chenin Blanc.)

Reminds me. I should ask for recommendations for the Riesling and Chenin Blanc. Anyone?

Okay, I ordered the Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot and the Eclipse Washington Columbia Valley Riesling. :h

At some point I will find a good Chenin Blanc to make too.

Based on those choices, we have similar tastes. I have Rjs Grand Cru Intl South African Chenin Blanc about to be bottled that is tasting above and beyond my expectations.

Based on those choices, we have similar tastes. I have Rjs Grand Cru Intl South African Chenin Blanc about to be bottled that is tasting above and beyond my expectations.

I saw that kit and am definitely considering it. I just have to get through the three kits I haven't even started yet! :)

Racked from secondary tonight, F.S.G. 0.990. Degased some added supplied oak cubes, did not add chitosan will let this one settle on its own.
Had sample and already impressed!
Steve

Opened First Bottle!

Yesterday I opened the first bottle of Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot that had been bottle aging for 11 months...all I can say is WOW!!! This is some of the best Merlot that I've ever had. Will definitely order more of these kits.

At this rate, I'll be picking up another one of these to get started over the summer.

Remember, you gave me a 750ml bottle a while back. Plan on bringing that and @Boatboy24 Jim's bottle that spent some time in the barrel. If you need one back earlier let me know, but I'll drink BB Ji'm's and you won't get any. Na na, pooh pooh (my kid's expletive between themselves, haven't quite figured out the meaning on that one out yet).

Stole a sample from the carboy tonight. Mine has been aging 7 months now. It tastes superb. The fruityness has subsided from a few months ago and tastes very refined already.

I did a fine wine tasting a couple of weeks ago and this tastes very similar to the wines I tasted then. I couldn't say that about any of the other wines I've made, although I am quite new to the hobby. The only real difference was the oak aroma. The fine wines I tasted blew me away by the incredibly nose from the oak, something my SLM can't replicate. I'm thinking about a barrel!

Toss an oak spiral or two in for a three month soak while bulk aging...

Toss an oak spiral or two in for a three month soak while bulk aging...

I was thinking that but I cannot find anywhere in the UK that sells them. I can't any decent tannin either which is annoying. Anyone in the UK know where you can get these products?

Also I couldn't resist another sample of the SLM. I can't believe how good this wine is. Can anyone suggest how it will change over the next 12 months given it is already 7 months aged? Thanks...

I recent bottled my first Eclipse SLM. It spent 4 months in my Vadai. It is a little over a year old now and really good!!! I can't wait to see how it tastes at 2 years.

I already have a 2nd in bulk waiting for its barrel time. The only things I did different to this kit were putting the grape pack in the primary loose and pitching D21 yeast. I hope those two tweaks make this kit even better then the first.

Cheers!

Chris

Latest posts

Back