WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled mine this past weekend. Also bottled a VR merlot kit that I started 10 days after the Eclipse kit. I saved the skins for the Eclipse kit and added them to the VR. I figured they were pretty used up at that point but it couldn't hurt. Started both kits in March last year so they are almost exactly a year old. I was actually disappointed at how harsh both kits were still. I'm hoping another 6-12 months in the bottle will smooth them out.

I'd be really interested to know how the VR Merlot turned out with the left-over Eclipse Merlot skins. It just so happens I have both kits waiting to be started :fsh

Mine is just a little older than yours, and I have not tasted it yet (except for a sip at bottling). Your friend's comment makes me want to violate my rules and grab a bottle!

I hope you feel for yours like I do for mine. After 11 kits, the SLD Merlot is the best argument I've made for kit winemaking so far.

Paul, can't wait to see your taste results at a 1 year mark.

So, Jim (jgmann) and Varis (geek) convinced me to put my Stag's Leap Merlot into my drinking rotation after 1 year, rather than my normal 18 mos. Tonight was the 1-year mark, and, true to my word, I dug into the first bottle. All I can say is "Wow."

This is already a very good wine. I think it is already drinking like a $15 bottle. (And remember, wine is cheap here in WI!) I think this is the 2nd-best kit, or maybe 3rd best, that I have made. (The other two are the CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, and the CC Showcase Red Mtn. Cab.) And I expect this to improve, given it is only 1 year old.

For the record, here are the winemaking notes: "Used ICV-D254, sprinkled on top. Added 7.7 g FT Tannin Rouge. 60 g oak dust (from kit) into muslin bag with grape pack. SG before Grape Pack was 1.082, went up to 1.098 before falling. Added 2.5 g Tannin Riche Extra during bulk aging. Taste at bottling was very good, albeit a bit oakey/tannic?"

The tannins fell back in line. There is still a nice oak/tannin aftertaste now, but not out of character. Drinking very nicely!

Thanks for the update. Mine was very oaky early also... Thanks for the tip about putting the oak in the bag with the skins. That sounds like a great idea!

Thanks for the update, Paul. As you all have noted, this was an oaky wine early on. Still very good, but a lot more oak than I'd ever tasted in a Merlot. It is all integrating very, very well though.

Thanks Paul for the "sacrifice" [emoji3]
If you were to compare this wine against the CC Walla Walla, which one is the winner?

Well, it is tough, but I would give the nod to the Walla Walla. I did not taste it at the one year mark, so it is hard to say for sure.

Thanks for the update, Paul. As you all have noted, this was an oaky wine early on. Still very good, but a lot more oak than I'd ever tasted in a Merlot. It is all integrating very, very well though.

To be fair, I added quite a bit of tannins to mine, so it may not be WE's "fault" in my case. I guess you are correct -- mine is about as oaky a Merlot as I have had. Interesting to see how this plays out down the road.

I pitched my first SL Merlot in September 2015 and I did notice a heavy oak taste when tasting in March 2016. I didn't make detailed notes about how long I left it, but now I have another one brewing I'm going to make sure that when it comes to stabilising and clearing, I'm not going to leave it longer than the 8 days specified in the kit.

All I can say is "Wow."
@sour grapes, That's what my wife said when she tasted the Stags Leap Merlot the first time. Its her favorite wine that I make. Can't tell her I have one bulk aging right now, she'll take a straw and drink it from the carboy. Lol, Bakervinyard

Received my kit this afternoon. Stirred it into primary, have brew belt on to raise temp a bit will probably pitch yeast in morning. The S.G. Right now seemed a bit low at 0.086. Will check in few hours after skins give it up some.

Steve

So, it's a bright and shiny new day (cloudy and rainy again in central pa)... How'd you do with your SG?
Ah more rain! If possible please keep it on your side of the state line?:rn

S.G. Did make it up to 1.096, pitched RC-212 early this morning, must temp a cozy 75F. Just checked it about 45 minutes aga and see no activity, IIRC, this yeast strain is a slow starter?

Steve

Ah more rain! If possible please keep it on your side of the state line?:rn

S.G. Did make it up to 1.096, pitched RC-212 early this morning, must temp a cozy 75F. Just checked it about 45 minutes aga and see no activity, IIRC, this yeast strain is a slow starter?

Steve

I did what I could. But, I'm guessing you got rained on anyway. The entire state of PA got rained on this weekend.

At about 36 hours, your wine was probably bubbling away like nobody's business. You should be just about ready to move to a carboy.

Racked from primary to secondary this afternoon, S.G. 0.998 right now will let it sit for about 10 days.

Steve

Well, it is tough, but I would give the nod to the Walla Walla. I did not taste it at the one year mark, so it is hard to say for sure.

To be fair, I added quite a bit of tannins to mine, so it may not be WE's "fault" in my case. I guess you are correct -- mine is about as oaky a Merlot as I have had. Interesting to see how this plays out down the road.

Would you happen to know the pH and TA on this one, at this time?

Latest posts

Back