WineXpert Eclipse Marlborough NZ Sauvingon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill probably follow the instructions exactly for bottling. That's how I worked with the estate series and it worked out. Like a previous comment you defo get the citrus zing with the eclipse that wasn't there at this stage in the estate series. I always thought the estate series was missing that little bit of depth when compared to say villa Maria or saint Clare. It's early days but I think they have sorted that with eclipse. 2 extra litres isn't a bad start mind you.

7 weeks start to finish?

How was the leftover glass at bottling? How do you think it compares to a commercial bottle from NZ?

8 weeks, give or take a day. I think it's very comparable to most commercial SB's I've had. I'm going to give it 4-6 weeks in the bottle, then do some side by side comparisons. But it's already very enjoyable.

Tweaks to NZ SB

I am about 2 weeks behind you guys. I have 2 Eclipse SB in carboys now and tweaked one of them with a bit of grapefruit zest - just the skin to get the oil, no white stuff. The one with the zest cleared a bit more slowly than the other but both are very clear now. Will let you know if there is any other difference in taste.
Ric

Not clearing

A week ago, I degassed and stabilized per the directions. Before stirring the crud up from the bottom, it had cleared pretty well. To degas I stirred with my drill stir thingy, and alternated that with hitting it with my brake bleeder. I thought I got it pretty good, but kept hitting the brake bleeder and getting bubbles for until a couple days ago. Now, the directions say to wait 8 days to clear, then rack and let sit. But, it's not really clearing. Did I goof by not getting it totally de-gassed before I put the clearing agent in? Should I go ahead and rack it and let it clear then? Or should I wait until it clears before racking? Also, will I need to add another clearing agent or will it take care of itself fairly soon? I wasn't planning on bulk aging this too long.

Thanks

Keep it warm 72-74 degrees. Did you follow the directions? It says to add the fining agents directly to the wine including the GROSS LEES. If you racked off the gross lees before hand then you have a problem. I would not add any further fining agents for now especially if you followed the directions. As long as its degassed and kept warm it should clear with time again as long as you added the fining agents to the wine with the gross lees still on board.

Yes, the lees were still there, and it is in my office where the temp is around 72-74. I guess I'll just try to be patient and let it do it's thing!

Thanks

I am about 2 weeks behind you guys. I have 2 Eclipse SB in carboys now and tweaked one of them with a bit of grapefruit zest - just the skin to get the oil, no white stuff. The one with the zest cleared a bit more slowly than the other but both are very clear now. Will let you know if there is any other difference in taste.
Ric

Zesting can make a nice difference in your wine.
You probably already know this, but don't leave the remains of the zesting in the wine too long. It doesn't leave much sediment, but rack it off within a month. Once it starts to fully deteriorate, it leaves a sort of rotting taste (IMO). However, that taste will go away after awhile, but I don't want it to ever get started in the first place.

Well the SB is about to go into the bottles, so it was in there for about 3 weeks. Interesting that it seemed to keep its physical shape, and was identifiable. I did not put it in any cheesecloth, and it was added after stabilization - about 1/2 grapefruit worth- just the rind, no white stuff. Used a Zester.
Anybody who is on any Statin drugs should probably be aware that grapefruit is contraindicated for this drug.
Tastes pretty good so far.
Ric

I just racked this wine last night, and of course, I had to pour a small glass for myself and my friend to taste. I had to top off a bit, so I bought some Fishtail Marlborough SB and was able to taste them side by side. Even with the Eclipse being at least 1 month away from being ready to bottle and at least 2 more months before drinking, it far, far, FAR surpassed the Fishtail. I was dancing around my kitchen singing how good this wine is going to be!

I just racked this wine last night, and of course, I had to pour a small glass for myself and my friend to taste. I had to top off a bit, so I bought some Fishtail Marlborough SB and was able to taste them side by side. Even with the Eclipse being at least 1 month away from being ready to bottle and at least 2 more months before drinking, it far, far, FAR surpassed the Fishtail. I was dancing around my kitchen singing how good this wine is going to be!

I was going to wait until Memorial day to crack my first bottle (bottled on 4/6), but opened one last night, since I thought the meal I was grilling would pair well with it. It's absolutely great, and still getting better at a rapid pace. I couldn't believe the difference from bottling day to last night.

Glad you're enjoying it too.

I have about 18 bottles that are about a year old now of RJS EP Australian Sauv Blanc. As soon as I can get it down to a case or so I will get mine going. Summer is prime SB drinking weather! Will be neat to try them side by side for a comparison!

Hi Folks. I have been brewing beer for the last 2 years, 200+ gallons. I just made the jump to wine making. I figured go big or go home so I bought the eclipse SB kit. I am very excited to hear the results you are getting. I am probably going to start up with primary ferm this weekend. I will keep y'all posted.

Hi Folks. I have been brewing beer for the last 2 years, 200+ gallons. I just made the jump to wine making. I figured go big or go home so I bought the eclipse SB kit. I am very excited to hear the results you are getting. I am probably going to start up with primary ferm this weekend. I will keep y'all posted.

Welcome to Winemakingtalk. This is a great kit, IMHO. Keep us posted on your progress.

Update: still improving. The crisp acidity continues to show more and more. The honey/melon flavors are still there, but blending very nicely with the acidity. Make this wine now!

Back