WineXpert Eclipse Italian Barolo - Topping Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickymatch

Reaction score
So I'm about to rack my Eclipse Barolo and realized that I don't have any Barolo to top up with. Obviously, the grocery stores around me don't carry anything of that variety and before I hit a liquor store, I figured I'd ask here....what do you guys normally top up with for this kit? I do have a couple bottles of Barbera Del Monferrato from Marchesi Di Barolo that were given to me as a gift, but everything I have read tend to indicate that while from Piedmont, it's more on the opposite end from a Barolo. Would this work or should I look into something closer to an actual Barolo? I don't want to go broke buying a bottle to top up, but I certainly don't want to risk altering any flavor profiles of this kit as I'm going to let this age for one year at the very least.

Any info is appreciated.

This year Vineco's Cheeky Monkey line had a Nebbiolo Barbera blend as a limited edition kit . Your Barbera would work . Also a Merlot would be not noticeable if you need to top up just a small amount . Your other option is to rack down to smaller carboy and bottles . :b

So I'm about to rack my Eclipse Barolo and realized that I don't have any Barolo to top up with. Obviously, the grocery stores around me don't carry anything of that variety and before I hit a liquor store, I figured I'd ask here....what do you guys normally top up with for this kit? I do have a couple bottles of Barbera Del Monferrato from Marchesi Di Barolo that were given to me as a gift, but everything I have read tend to indicate that while from Piedmont, it's more on the opposite end from a Barolo. Would this work or should I look into something closer to an actual Barolo? I don't want to go broke buying a bottle to top up, but I certainly don't want to risk altering any flavor profiles of this kit as I'm going to let this age for one year at the very least.

Any info is appreciated.

Use whatever you have sitting around that's at least semi-decent. You're looking at 3% of your total volume, if indeed you use the entire bottle of whatever you're topping with.

I topped mine up with Super Tuscan. As Brian said, it is a small amount of the total volume and likely will have no impact on the finished wine.

You could also use marbles in the carboy to top it up. That will top it up without having to add anything to your wine.

I topped up with either a super tuscan or a brunello.
I have used Tuscan/Brunello/Barolo interchangebly
Of course I heavily oaked my barolo.

I have always been of the mind that if you are using a little amount to top up with, it will not change the flavor entirely too much.

Stickymatch, I've been watching this thread and decided I should weigh in now. Barolo is known as the King of Wines so let's treat it as such. hahaha

Usually I'm not very picky what I top up with since I do lots of blends anyway. I also repeat many of the same wines year after year so I tend to always have something very similar to top up with.
With all that said I think Barolo is very different and distinct from all other wines. I only top up with a commercial Barolo or marbles. Additionally I would not try to find the cheapest commercial Barolo, I would expect to pay $45.00 per bottle. Marbles is a great idea, I use them all of the time. Down sizing to a five gallon carboy and half gallon jug might work also. You are trying to make what is a very expensive commercial wine so don't chance changing the flavor with an odd top up.

Last edited:
I top up with marbles, and also downsize to 5 gal carboys, and a side jug/bottle or two. I even use 375ml.

Recently, I have started using Normcorc to top off. The jury is still out on which is better: Cork or Marbles. Cork does weigh a lot less than marbles. I like normcorc because it is non porous, and can be reused. If you use natural cork, you will have to throw them out when you are done.

Great, thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go the marble route to be on the safe side. I definitely don't want to run the risk of altering the profile, even by a little.

Great, thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to go the marble route to be on the safe side. I definitely don't want to run the risk of altering the profile, even by a little.

Make sure you get marbles that do not contain lead. You can get a lead test kit cheap at most drug stores.

Make sure you get marbles that do not contain lead. You can get a lead test kit cheap at most drug stores.

Lead in glass marbles? Didn't even think anywhere near that possibly being a possibility. Any particular marble brand that's definitely lead free?

btw, I also use marbles in my skins bag during primary fermentation. They keep the skins bag submerged in the juice.

I top up with marbles, and also downsize to 5 gal carboys, and a side jug/bottle or two. I even use 375ml.

Recently, I have started using Normcorc to top off. The jury is still out on which is better: Cork or Marbles. Cork does weigh a lot less than marbles. I like normcorc because it is non porous, and can be reused. If you use natural cork, you will have to throw them out when you are done.

Out of curiosity, how do you weigh them down so they displace volume? I am thinking this could be easier than trying to get marbles out of by barrels.

Scott

Out of curiosity, how do you weigh them down so they displace volume?

They float on top. You push them into the carboy. The corks push on each other, and push the lower ones under the surface. Wine starts filling the air pockets. Continue to push in the corks until the wine pushes up to the desired level in the neck of the carboy.

I cut the corks in half to make it easier to remove. There is enough friction in the system to keep the corks from pushing out.

Nebbiolo is Barolo's varietal grape. You can find good bottles of Nebbiolo for a fraction of the cost of a good Barolo.......

Would like to know how yours is coming along.

Mine is at 23 months right now. I bottled at 1 year, and bottled 4 splits to test every quarter. I topped with Barbera probably two bottles total from racking to time in the barrel (6 months).

Mine has changed alot over the time in bottle. Most of the fruitiness up front has gone. It has gotten plumier, and more earthy, and leathery.

Color has even changed a bit. Moving from dark ruby to having a little clear ring followed by a bit of orangeish ring in the glass.

It doesn't have the rose hints that good barolos do, but pretty happy with it vs. the $45 bottles you have to pay in the store.

Latest posts

Back