WineXpert Eclipse Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
hello everyone first of all forgive me because I'm typing this on my iPhone. My question is this, I recently purchased a Corolla Eclipse and I thinking about adding a few tweaks for instance I was going to substitute the yeast from an EC 1118 28 RC212.

I also would like to add fruit in the secondary fermentation. I was thinking of 1/2 to a pound of cherries and plums. While adding a tablespoon of tannin powder.

Thoughts?

I just racked my Eclipse Barolo out of the barrel last night after a 12 week stay. The only thing I changed was the yeast and I went with BM4X4. The wine is only 6 months old, but it is excellent so far. I don't know that I'd add fruit to it, but the tannin might not be a bad idea if you aren't using a barrel.

I just racked my Eclipse Barolo out of the barrel last night after a 12 week stay. The only thing I changed was the yeast and I went with BM4X4. The wine is only 6 months old, but it is excellent so far. I don't know that I'd add fruit to it, but the tannin might not be a bad idea if you aren't using a barrel.

I kept mine in a barrel for only 4 weeks, but it was the 1st batch in.

I would not add any other flavor to this wine, except oak.
It is a good wine that should stand on its own flavor.

but that is just me

Last edited:
I added toasted oak powder in primary, medium toast oak in secondary because I didn't plan to age in a barrel. It was very tasty on bottling day. I am trying to pretend it doesn't exist until at least nine months from now. :)
Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Check out Joeswine threads on thinking outside the box. Great place to read the approaches your thinking of doing. I been doing the same tweaks with different wines and so far its been good. But it's all on what your comfortable doing.

thank you for all the advice! I was looking for that thread! I dont have access to that yeast. Would RC 212 be the next option? Would you use a barrel? I was planing on getting one

I like RC212 and sometimes sub it instead of EC1118. Thats a super high quality kit. I wouldnt mess with it too much with outlots of experience. No way I would add fruit but the tannin might be nice and maybe some French oak. I have no doubt it would be great as is.

The barrel is definitely an enhancement, but it is an investment that should be thought about before jumping in. The best way to store a barrel is by keeping it full of wine. You'll need to have two or three kits lined up and ready, as the first one through will only go for 3-6 weeks, depending on your taste (I'm assuming a 23 liter barrel). After you get 3 or 4 batches through, you can safely keep wine in there for 3-4 months. So if you have (or will have) a few kits ready to go and think you'll have 3-4 kits a year to run through, I highly recommend. Even two kits might be sufficient. After a year or so, you could likely leave a batch in for 6 months. Keep in mind you need to top up too.

I think RC212 would be a reasonable substitute. I've used it on a few wines and it is good.

Thanks! I indeed do have 60 gallons of wine ready to go. Some of the wine is a less oaky one. Pinot, chateau de pays and an amarone. I have my rosso and cab along with a tempernilo. My plan of action would be to let the heavy oaky ones roll first then the lghter ones. NOW, would you get french oak barrel or hungarian?

RC212 it is!

Boatboy, since I have several lined up to run through a barrel, must I sanitize the barrel after each use?

FWIW I rinse with hot water several times then once with sanitizing solution. Then immediately fill with another wine.

I don't use sulfur. I have never let one go empty more than an hour.

I do the same as Tony. Once, I filled the barrel all the way with sanitizing solution and let it sit overnight. Normally though, just a few cups go in and I put the bung in for 15 minutes or so to let the fumes work. Then shake, dump and fill.

Re: Hungarian or French. That's a personal preference. I like both, but generally prefer French. Hungarian barrels seem to be easier to find in smaller sizes and in my experience are cheaper.

Can someone confirm if this kit comes with labels? I just bottled mine and can't find labels for the life of me. :? The only other Eclipse I've done is the Sauv Blanc and that came with labels. I thought all the Eclipse kits did.

Latest posts

Back