Ebulliometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rat, things are looking good. I like your choice of instruments. Did you get your digital refractometer on Amazon? I got the same one for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

Hey Rat, things are looking good. I like your choice of instruments. Did you get your digital refractors on Amazon? I got the same one for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

Thanks, I just hope the dam thing works, lol.

Yes I got it on Amazon. I never knew anything like that existed. While I was researching how an Ebulliometer works I saw a youtube video of someone using one. All I can say is WOW, best money spent EVER! If you dont mind sharing where you got yours.

Dose anyone know what the Ebulliometer Ruler does? Do I need it? I cant find any reference on its need of use.

RR

The thermometer is critical. Accurate results depend on very high precision temperature measurements. A meat thermometer or even a standard laboratory thermometer will not work. I looked at the thermometers that come with the ebulliometers and they have a very narrow range (+87 to +101 °C) with 0.1 degree precision. I have searched our laboratory supply company websites and can't find one similar and as accurate.

Having never used an ebulliometer before I'm not sure what the calculating disc is for. Is it just a scale for converting the temp difference to alcohol? In that case you may be able to just calculate it yourself. Presumably there's a formula to do so. Or does the disc also compensate for atmospheric pressure changes? I don't know.

is that like the scale for determining the BP of water and then the corresponding amount of alcohol? The ones that I used had a dial...

The thermometer is critical. Accurate results depend on very high precision temperature measurements. A meat thermometer or even a standard laboratory thermometer will not work. I looked at the thermometers that come with the ebulliometers and they have a very narrow range (+87 to +101 °C) with 0.1 degree precision. I have searched our laboratory supply company websites and can't find one similar and as accurate.

Having never used an ebulliometer before I'm not sure what the calculating disc is for. Is it just a scale for converting the temp difference to alcohol? In that case you may be able to just calculate it yourself. Presumably there's a formula to do so. Or does the disc also compensate for atmospheric pressure changes? I don't know.

I could not agree more about the thermometer. I found several places that sell the exact one I need. They are not cheap!

I know what the disc does. I was asking about the "Ebulliometer Ruler." I cant find anything on what it is for or how to use it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM1ST2Yd-XU"]Here is a video of an Ebulliometer being used.[/ame]

RR

is that like the scale for determining the BP of water and then the corresponding amount of alcohol? The ones that I used had a dial...

That is what I am thinking. Same thing as the disc just a different shape.

RR

Thanks, I just hope the dam thing works, lol.

Yes I got it on Amazon. I never knew anything like that existed. While I was researching how an Ebulliometer works I saw a youtube video of someone using one. All I can say is WOW, best money spent EVER! If you dont mind sharing where you got yours.

RR

I use mine all the time when starting a wine. It's a lot easier to use than the regular refractometer. It's easier in the sense it's sometimes difficult to get a sharp line to look at when looking through a hand held.

I know this thread is about ebulliometers but running wolf and rat have peaked my curiosity once again. I guess I was always under the impression refractometers were best used for testing fruit before harvesting. So now I ask, besides requiring the use of less wine, what is the benefit of using a refractometer to measure brix over a hydrometer?

You're absolutely right and that when I use it. To get a brix reading from crushed fruit or juice before fermentation. It is faster and and only need a few drops rather then filling a 250ml flask up with wine for a brix reading from a hydrometer.

With the right spread sheet you can continue to use a refractometer after fermentation begins.

Tingo one other thing; don't get caught up or confused with what is a necessity and just plain "boys and their toys".

Last edited:
The first step is to boil water in the ebuliometer and take accurate note of the temp. Here in the Adirondack Coast at about 180ft above sea level the range is 96 to 100 degreesC. You can tell you have reached boil when the temp holds for a minute.
Next mt the h2o out and put in vino , about 10 ml if I recall . Replace the water in the top with fresh cool water . Again heat the vino to boiling and note the temp . Vino will boil at a much lower temp than H2o.
The get the wheel and place the one pointer to your water boil temp e.g. 98C . Tighten the nut and line up the vino boil temp the indicator calculates the equasion(sort of like a slide ruler) and indicates at the arrow what your ABV is.

Sorry if I confused you. Without the wheel in front of me I forget which indicated is exactly which. Remember, you have to check the water first every time, on different days or even the same day if a pressure front is moving thru, cause the water boil temp can change by a few degrees.

I know this thread is about ebulliometers but running wolf and rat have peaked my curiosity once again. I guess I was always under the impression refractometers were best used for testing fruit before harvesting. So now I ask, besides requiring the use of less wine, what is the benefit of using a refractometer to measure brix over a hydrometer?

Sorry about getting off topic. Maybe should have started another thread. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpkgZlPcdPk"] Here is a video[/ame].

That video shows the easy of use.

Like Wolf was saying. It is so quick and easy to use. I use an eyedropper rather then a wine thief.

You're absolutely right and that when I use it. To get a brix reading from crushed fruit or juice before fermentation. It is faster and and only need a few drops rather then filling a 250ml flask up with wine for a brix reading from a hydrometer.

With the right spread sheet you can continue to use a refractometer after fermentation begins.

Tingo one other thing; don't get caught up or confused with what is a necessity and just plain "boys and their toys".

It does only read Brix but, so what. There are apps and charts to convert. This forum seems to rely on sg. Other forums and Greg at my wine supply shop uses Brix. Call it what you may it all boils down to being able to keep track of fermentable sugar. Do you need it, absolutely not

Oh yeah the Boys and Their Toys does apply here!

RR

Last edited:
I love toys, thats why I ask..... Now I need to go shopping lol

Craigslist in Harrisburg had a refractometer for $50. I've been searching for a used ebulliometer, which is one of the items that PA LCB wants to see when opening a winery to see how you determine ABV for paying taxes on your alcohol produced.

Refractometers can be found anywhere from $29 on sale around the holidays to well over $100. Shop around and compare what you're getting.

Update: The Damn Thing Works!!

I got the remaining items for my latest project today.Well, I could not wait to try it out. I dug through all my notes to find something bulk aging that has been topped off with least amount of water.

Anyway here is what I got:

With Hydrometer; Hard Cider: sg to start 1.065, sg now .998. According to the math that should be 9.1 ABV (with narrow range hydrometers)

With my contraption; Boiling point distilled water 99.6° F. Boiling point of sample 92.6° F. According to the dial I am dead center between 9 and 9.1 ABV!!

Woop Woop!!

Let me do a little tweaking and I will post a video.

RR

Last edited:
I like your enthusiasm towards being accurate with alc. in your wine. Yes wineries must be within 1% abv. Region Rat, your on the right track and I hope your glass equipment works but should be cal. with an ebulliometer. I have been taught that you should never use a refractometer after fermentation starts. Alcohol renders it useless. It will give you a reading but its not accurate. As for the ebulliometer, well it's built for one reason, accuracy. Again, I was taught that the wine sample must boil within 2% points of the water boiling point. This means that you must dilute the sample usually 4/1 or 5/1 to get close to the water boiling reference point. This is done because of accuracy. Then take the results and times it by 4 or 5. The farther away the less accurate. I have tried this with full strength, half, it matters. If any of you want to send me a 100mil sample, I would be glad to test it for you. There are wineries that I have visited that don't know how to use an ebulliometer correctly. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back