Ebulliometer

Discussion in 'Equipment & Sanitation' started by RegionRat, Dec 28, 2012.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jan 20, 2013 #41

RegionRat

RegionRat

RegionRat

Pleasure meeting you, thanks for the reply.

I built the ebulliometer for two reasons. First to get an idea of the ABV and second to see if I could build one. I really do not think it needs to be calibrated against the values from a commercially made ebulliometer .As I do not have any formal chemistry or physics training other the basic High School and a few classes in college. The physics/ chemistry is the should be the same in what I have built and what you are using. I am not a commercial winery so I really don't need to have 100% accurate results. I am happy being 3-5% of actual ABV. I would like to send you a sample you us to compare results. I would like to know more about the procedure you mentioned using. There is not a lot of information on the use of an ebulliometer on the internet.

The refractometer I bought before I knew the the alcohol changes the value of the reading. But that makes sense now. It is for testing sugar concentration in a water solution. I was kinda bummed thinking I had wasted that money. I emailed the manufacturer and the pointed to the More Wine web site. Where found an Excell Work Sheet to do the conversions form Brix to sg.. All is well now.

Thanks again for your observations.

RR

2. Jan 20, 2013 #42

Runningwolf

Runningwolf

Runningwolf

Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hey Rat, I didn't want to get into it that deep earlier but since you brought it up, I have used that same spreadsheet quiet a few times. It gives you a nice electronic copy of all of your notes. Just be sure to include your first brix reading with it.

3. Jan 20, 2013 #43

RegionRat

RegionRat

RegionRat

Please in the future get deep. I am just learning this stuff.

I have been taking reading with the meter and with a hydrometer at the same time. I have notice the sample needs to be 'degassed' to get a good reading with the meter. I also have found the readings differ from time to time. The jury is still out is I will continue to use it during fermentation.

RR

4. Jan 20, 2013 #44

Runningwolf

Runningwolf

Runningwolf

Your sample needs to be degassed and around 68* to get a good hydrometer reading.

5. Jan 20, 2013 #45

RegionRat

RegionRat

RegionRat

Temp is always around 70*. I have a water bath with aquarium heater that the fermenters sit in. With the meter I see bubbles form on the glass and it throws off the reading. I should also degass the sample for the hydrometer? I have just been spinning the hydrometer to get the bubbles off of it.

RR

6. Jan 20, 2013 #46

Runningwolf

Runningwolf

Runningwolf

These very bubbles and the ones you don't see can lift your hydrometer giving it a false reading.

7. Jan 20, 2013 #47

RegionRat

RegionRat

RegionRat

Roger that.

RR

8. Jan 21, 2013 #48

galen1

galen1

galen1

PM me your number and when to call RR. I'll explain it to you as it was me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. Feb 7, 2019 #49

montanarick

montanarick

montanarick

would you happen to have available an itemized list of equipment you used to construct your ebulliometer? thanks!