Cellar Craft Early Reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm maybe expecting too much but I gotta find something to make that doesn't take a year or two to drink.

Have any of you made a red that's decent in 6 months? My white wines are great in 3 months but my reds wouldn't compete with Boones Farm inside a year.

Mostly, I make upper end kits with grape packs which I do understand just take awhile. I'd really like to make something to fill the void between now and then so we could maybe drink something...:(

Sudz, the grape pack kits certainly benefit from time. There are some early drinking red kits out there, but they will have less body and will more closely rival the Franzias and Almadens of the world. That isn't always bad for an everyday wine but it will never be mistaken for the best wine you have ever had.

I enjoy the Winexpert Vintners Reserve and RSJ Grand Cru kits as everyday drinkers. VR Mezza Luna Red is a favorite here. Also Grand Cru Chianti. I understand the VR Pinot Noir is pretty good, but I haven't made that it many years. Williams Brewing also make some red kits that are supposed to be early drinkers. I am currently making a Malbec and a Pinot Noir. Both are too early to judge, but the juice concentrate tasted outstanding.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to do.

Okay, so I'm maybe expecting too much but I gotta find something to make that doesn't take a year or two to drink.

Have any of you made a red that's decent in 6 months? My white wines are great in 3 months but my reds wouldn't compete with Boones Farm inside a year.

Mostly, I make upper end kits with grape packs which I do understand just take awhile. I'd really like to make something to fill the void between now and then so we could maybe drink something...:(

Start making Dave's Dragon Blood or variations of it. You will have a very drinkable wine within a month and if you let it sit for 2-3 months, it gets even better. Something to drink while your others are aging.

For an early drinker, do the opposite of what you have been doing - make one of the inexpensive, low-end red kits. They contain much less TDS, so they will mature much faster... won't taste as good, but they will come around in only a few months.

If you like summer wines, make an Orchard Breezin' or mist kit. They are ready to drink a month after they are finished being made.

Thanks guys. Thought I had answered this but don't see my response so here goes...

I'm going to give the WE Vintners Reserve and Grand Cru a shot. Actually I started out with these a long time ago and come to think of it, they never made it past 6 months.

I gotta ask however, what is Dave's Dragon Blood???

Hi Sudz,
I'd recommend you try the reds from the Legacy brand of kits made by Vineco. They are designed from the ground up to be early drinkers, despite the fact they are nice sized (16L, 6-week) kits. The Merlot, in particular, is very nice... some of our winery customers prefer the Legacy kits to other brands.
Hope that helps.

Thanks PurpleToes. I'll check out the Legacy kits as suggested.

Thanks PurpleToes. I'll check out the Legacy kits as suggested.

Wine Experts Luna Rossa is not bad for a fuller bodied one (no grape pack) that seems to be ready a little earlier. I actually tasted then bottled this one after only 6 months and it tastes pretty good.

I made a Winekitz UER – Gamay Bergamais, it was very good early drinking wine (no oak) - big bing cherry taste. I also made a CC Sterling Pinot Noir (with grape pack) and it was a very good early drinking. And I make a lot of Cheeky Monkey Reds ( Malbec, Merlot and Pinot Noir) as a early drinking (and table wines). The Gamay Bergamais was the best but also the most expensive.

Back