early drinking wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
Tess:
8 mos of wine making and I have made 200 are so gallons.
my first was a 1 gallon batch of blackberry from a recipe from Jack Kellers.
It was good. Not great but better then most wines I had bought in the liquor store.. I did not know much about wine, only what i like to taste.

I have made only one early drinking wine kit...It was a 70 dollar white zin.
Made it exactly by directions..and it was horrible. I tossed it, would not even bottle it.I got a little discouraged and then I found this forum.

I thought that a wine had to be old to be good...I was wrong. It doesnt have to be old, but some aging helps.

When reading the forum one day i saw a post about the Dragon Blood and decided to make some. It all changed then.
After making it, i kinda went crazy with it...
I bought a huge amount of carboys, buckets,chemicals, yeast, etc.
I moved all my recipes that I had been collecting to the recycle bin, most from Jack Kellers web site, which all stink...there pretty much the exact same recipe just some copy and paste text.
Any how..after making the dragon blood I decided that I was going to make every recipe like Dragon Blood.
So i kinda took Daves original and developed my own with a few minor changes
I increased the fruit, I add bentonite to the primary, I increased the abv to 14 percent are better. I add my yeast nutrient in thirds, I add bananas to every batch. I do super fast ferment, I rack once a day until i get 1/4 inch of lees, then I hit it with super kleer.

I have one recipe that I use .Mine...I just change out the fruits.
The fruits i have used are combinations of are too numerous to list.
I can go from ferment to bottle in less then three weeks, God forbid.
I give most of it away, the only person that did not like it was someone that supposedly knows about high class wines..she liked it until she found out that it was home made..then she would not drink it..she never got another bottle..
I am fermenting a white grape peach from the grocery store now.
it contained preservatives..which can be fermented easily.

Make what you like, drink when you want, and dont worry about how young it is..if it taste good, bottle and drink.

Foot Note: In the old days when some one wanted to cook a wild duck,
they would hang it on the porch with a string tied to a wing. When the wing fell off, it was time to cook the duck...

Case being..it does not have to be old to be good.

Back