Duos and combinations of Similar Fruits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak Chips

Has any one added the two packages of fine Oak Chips that come with the Winexport Shiraz Kit? If so, how did you remove that "Sawdust" powder from the must?

This is not really the right thread for this question, so you may get more or better answers if you posted somewhere more appropriate. But, I will give my answer here.

Generally, I add sawdust and/or chips to the muslin bag that holds the grape pack. However, my experience with the DUST is that it is not really a problem even if it does not go into a bag. It kinda just falls down and intermingles with the lees. So I just rack off of it when racking out of primary. (To me, chips are a bigger problem than dust, as the chips tend to clog my siphon.)

Fine Oak

Thanks Paul,
The Oak is mingling with the lees and my must is cooking nicely. I was going to try "chips" next time, but will go with another option for adding Oak.

Amazing People in my Life, have made my Life....Amazing!!

Paul's Bucket List

P.S.
I looked at your Bucket List Paul and it's impressive. Do you make any wine other than kits? I've made 1200 bottles this year and right now, have Cherry/Blueberry in Primary, Cherry aging/back sweetened, ready to bottle, Elderberry in the primary, Elderberry/Cherry in the primary, Elderberry/Concord in the primary. I love using Fruit I or Friends grow to blend and experiment with different recipes (I make my own recipes).
Thanks for the advise on Oak, and Merry Christmas.

Thanks, Gussman. I don't agree that my list is all that impressive, but thank you for thinking so. I did not bottle anywhere close to your 1200 bottles, for example!

Yes, so far, only kits, except for one batch of Dragon Blood. Perhaps some day I'll venture into fresh grapes, but there are many barriers to entry that kits obviate.

More Wine

I hope some day you'll be able to experience the joy of taking fresh grapes and or fresh fruit and going from Vine to Wine. I have tried Dragon Blood one time. Dangerous Dave has a good recipe there. I love to blend "must" and try new techniques with my wine making. Right now I'm making an Elderberry/Concord/Blueberry (different percentages of each). Good Luck and God Bless you as you continue this great hobby.

I've been blending elderberry and muscadine wines. This past year, though, I put the elderberries and the muscadines together right from the start in the primary. Elderberries are low in acid and muscadines high. So I'm hoping that gives me one less adjustment to make and less chemicals in the wine.

Gary, Have you bottled and/or tried this taste yet?? Very interested to know!! Henry

Update as it makes

Gaboy, I'll keep you updated on the taste of this Trio as it ferments. Looking good so far.

Cherry Limeade Wine

Has anyone made a Cherry Limeade Wine? I am looking for a recipe for Cherry/limeade Wine or any information regarding the recipe and/or ingredients. Thank You.

Back